VMware Cloud Community
martur00
Contributor
Contributor

Changing certificates on vCenter/vSphere

Hi,

we want to upgrade from vCenter 5.5 to the newest possible - as an appliance version 6.5 (VCSA 6.5).

While the process of deploying the appliance seems very straight forward and we don't have issues with it we have a problem with the data migration.

The currently used vCenter 5.5 has it's own certificates and for some reason the migration tool has a problem with them. The only resolution for us is to create new ones.

And here comes my question - what will the new certificate change? I assume that communication with the ESX hosts should not be changed? If we use Dell EMC Networker for backups will the change of certificates affect the settings in any way? Does the certificates only affects the computers using the vSphere client?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
batuhandemirdal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Since there is a version pass, you can use your existing certificates there as well.

0 Kudos
martur00
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

it would seem that we need to create them again. Won't this creation mix up any other things (connection with ESXi, connection with EBR, any other things)?

This is the part of the logs from the migration tool:

2017-11-06 12:10:51.446Z| migration-assistant-5973321| E: ParsePreUpgradeOutput: Error: Failed to discover a system name that is compatible with both your VMware vCenter Server certificate and your VMware Single Sign-On certificate that can be used to migrate to a VMware vCenter Server Appliance with an embedded Platform Services Controller.

2017-11-06 12:10:51.446Z| migration-assistant-5973321| I: ParsePreUpgradeOutput: Resolution: Regenerate your VMware vCenter Server SSL certificate and your VMware Single Sign-On SSL certificate to have a common system name that can be used to migrate your system to VMware vCenter Server Appliance with Platform Services Controller. DHCP IP Address cannot be used as a system name to migrate to a VMware vCenter Server Appliance.

0 Kudos