VMware Cloud Community
scouser_steve
Contributor
Contributor

Downgrade now, then upgrade vSphere licences later

Hi,

We have recently bought a bunch of vSphere 8 ROBO licences along with a vCenter v8.0 licence. We have a few hosts which can support vSphere v8.0, but most can't (they can only support v7.0) and are planning to replace those on v7.0 throughout the coming year.

My question is, that if we downgrade the vSphere licences to v7.0, can we later upgrade them back to v8.0 if we're still in support? So downgrade the right number for compliance on those servers which are not able to support v8.0, then when they're replaced, re-use the licence, upgrading to v8.0.

I can see in Licence Management portal we can downgrade, but was unsure what we can do later as per our plan above.

Many thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
2 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
You should have no problem upgrading your licenses back from 7 to 8, but just in case I would take a screenshot of your current version 8 licenses. Make sure you do this during the term of your subscription and support contract.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
scouser_steve
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Many thanks for the response - it makes sense and i'll take a copy of the licences as you suggest.

Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos