VMware Cloud Community
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXI 5.5.0 to U3b

Hello,

I have a poweredge 2900 with an ESXI 5.5.0 OS.

I did a ~ # vmware -v I obtain : VMware ESXi 5.5.0 build-1331820

It contains an Active Directory 2012R2 domain controller and HOST NTP sync does not work (So I have many issues with my Active Directory that is time dependant).

I read that it was necessary to pass a patch.

How do I know if I already have an update installed?

Can I upgrade from no update to a 3b version or do I have do all the updates one by one?

The machine contains

a 70GB RAID 0 system disk at 15,000 rpm.

a 1TB RAID 5 Main disk for VMs

a 6TB RAID 5 data disk mapped directly to my domain controller.

The server has a network card connected to my ISP but internet access is done inside VMs.

So, I thought it was better to download the VMware vSphere offline bundle

Then, I do not know how to do it, if you have any advice I am interested.

Thanks in advance

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This host is grotesquely outdated as far as patches and updates are concerned. You are right, it's extremely necessary to "pass a patch".

You don't, based on your build number.

Can I upgrade from no update to a 3b version or do I have do all the updates one by one?

You should be able to update to U3b from your build. But if that fails, go to U1 => U2 => U3 => current patch rev.

Please use search, both on the Internet and on VMTN as there are countless blogs and articles that cover how to patch a standalone ESXi host from an offline depot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This host is grotesquely outdated as far as patches and updates are concerned. You are right, it's extremely necessary to "pass a patch".

You don't, based on your build number.

You should be able to update to U3b from your build. But if that fails, go to U1 => U2 => U3 => current patch rev.

Please use search, both on the Internet and on VMTN as there are countless blogs and articles that cover how to patch a standalone ESXi host from an offline depot.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It contains an Active Directory 2012R2 domain controller and HOST NTP sync does not work ...

Aside from the fact that you are using an old ESXi version, how exactly do you sync time on the ESXi host, and on the DC, i.e. which time sources do you use?

Please consider to sync the host as well as the DC using an external, reliable time server, and do not sync the DC with the host, and vice versa.

André

LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks... Sorry for the delay I was in holydays...

Best regards

0 Kudos
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello

I configured the DC to use the official french NTP server but, for to avoid to waste energy (and money), the ESXI is turned off when I don't use it.

When it stards, the DC is not immediately connected to Internet because I use a second VM as gateway to avoid to expose directely the DC to Internet so when it turn on, first it synchronize with the ESXI Time. This cause issues to the Active directory. I need to sync manually.

I will try to update my server and see if the sync issue is solved.

Best regards

0 Kudos