VMware Cloud Community
jakeels
Contributor
Contributor

ESXI 7 Mellanox - Unsupported devices

I am trying to install ESXI 7 onto a SuperMicro dedicated server and I am being presented with the following error:

pastedImage_0.png

If I ignore this, the 10Gbps uplink is not visible and I can only use the OOB management.

To try and resolve this, I have built a custom ISO containing "VMware ESXi 7.0 nmlx5_core 4.19.70.1 NIC Driver CD for Mellanox ConnectX-4/5/6 Ethernet Adapters". I have also tried other version oft the Mellanox drivers, including the ones referenced on Mellanox's website.

Does anyone know what I need to download to get the NIC to show up? I was able to get this working first time on ESXI 6.7.

Thank you

Jake

Tags (2)
6 Replies
harry89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please go through these

VMware Knowledge Base

VMware Knowledge Base

Harry
VCIX-DCV6.5 ,VCIX-NV6 , VCAP-CMA7
Mark answer as correct/helpful if it solves your query
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

7.0 does not support vmklinux drivers like 6.7 used to, so just because something worked for the older version does not mean it would work on 7.0.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

If something labeled VMware 7.0 from a Vendor than i expect that the right is in there.

The OP use the 7.0 driver package and for sure the 4.19.70.1 is the latest from Melanox

- Something goes wrong during creation of the custom iso

- Melanox cards can be use different modes

- VMware HCL is [removed by moderator] (think about the LSI 2004) and the countless posts about non working Dell H310 and similar

You should open a #SR and in the meantime use vCenter 7.0 and ESXi 6.7.

Regards,
Joerg

jakeels
Contributor
Contributor

That's frustrating, but thank you for clarifying.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

IIRC last week there was also a posting about non detecting Mellanox cards. Maybe you can take a look .

Regards,
Joerg

loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well, hopefully VMware get a working QA given that we needed switch to the vmklinux drivers to get our networks back on HP DL360 Gen9, the reasn is that VMware got the drivers for the routine-patch-update from HP and both sdies thought someone will test them

not what i expect from a HCL as well as "we do not have that card in our labs" and not what i expect with a incldued driver for the *onboard* NIC of HP DL360 servers

This patch updates the ntg3 VIB to resolve the following issue:

• PR 2151342: Oversize packets might cause NICs using the ntg3 driver to temporarily stop sending packets

In rare occasions, NICs using the ntg3 driver, such as the Broadcom BCM5719 and 5720 GbE NICs, might temporarily stop sending packets after a failed attempt to send an oversize packet. The ntg3 driver version 4.1.3.2 resolves this problem.

This issue is resolved in this release

[root@esx2:~] esxcli software vib update --depot=/vmfs/volumes/nfs/updates/ESXi650-201811002.zip

Installation Result

Message: The update completed successfully, but the system needs to be rebooted for the changes to be effective.

Reboot Required: true

VIBs Installed: VMW_bootbank_ne1000_0.8.3-8vmw.650.2.75.10884925, VMW_bootbank_ntg3_4.1.3.2-1vmw.650.2.75.1088492

yes, it was resolved by kill the network completly even without a working failover to the second NIC which is a different one to avoid exactly situations like this

after more than a whole month VMware came with this solution:

On the ESXi command line, run these commands to disable the ntg3 driver and enable the tg3 driver:

# esxcfg-module -d ntg3

# esxcfg-module -e tg3

0 Kudos