VMware Cloud Community
Mixadm
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 5.1 to 6.7 - migrating VMs to new enviroment

Hi everybody,

Probably this question has been addressed before with different settings and deployment contexts. However, since this is my first time putting hands on more technical esxi related issues I decided to ask for your help.

On a IBM X3650 M4 7915 it has been set up the following enviroment: 

- 1 x Esxi 5.1 host with 2 VMs (Windows Server 2012 Standard). 

- Everyting is managed through VSphere v 5.1.0

My goal is:

- to install Esxi 6.7 (supported by the hardware) - reading through similar posts I have made it clear that its preferable to opt for a clean instalation rather than upgrade to 6.5 and then to 6.7.

- Deploy two VMs with Windows Server 2019.

- Migrate all services under the OLD VMs to the newly created VMs.

There's no VCenter installed.

Could someone give some suggestions on how do I go about it please?

Many thannks

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
I suggest you to backup the 2 VMs with Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition (Free), for the Veeam backup server you can use a PC or Laptop (8GB o more in RAM)  with enough disk space (even use an external USB disk).

The backup would be performed as a physical machine with the IP, user and password of the 2 VMs.

The restore would be done on ESXi 6.7 with the instant recovery option from the Veeam backup server.

Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition

https://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html

Physical to Virtual Migration with Veeam

https://community.veeam.com/vug-hong-kong-and-macau-81/physical-to-virtual-migration-with-veeam-2166

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos