VMware Cloud Community
fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hyper-v Machine to VM

Hi all.

I have a hyper-v machine that I need to convert to vmware machine, can I use vmware converter to accomplish this , the remote machine is accessible via RDP/IP ? or if there is a better way to accomplish would be very appreciated if I can get the help

Thanks a bunchhhhhh!!!! for any help

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

This is possible through VMware converter. Refer to below VM Docs:

Select a Hyper-V Server Virtual Machine to Convert

Specify the Hyper-V Server Virtual Machine to Convert

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, you need to use the VMware converter.

You can disable the SSL encryption to speed up the migration process. Please refer below KB.

VMware Knowledge Base

VCIX, NCAP
0 Kudos
fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

P.

Thanks for jumping in, is there a way to convert without turning off the hyper-v Server ?

Thanks again for your time and help

0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You don't have to power off the Hyper-V server itself. Just power off the Hyper-V VM which needs to be V2V to VMware. VMware recommends to power off the VM. Refer to below VMware Doc to know more on this:

Conversion Limitations for Virtual Machines

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
fborges555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

P.

so the steps to follow

1) install converter agent of the  Hyper-V vm to be converter.

2) Install converter standalone on another machine that can see the the hyper-v Vm that will be converted ( con this be where the hyper-v manager resides?)

3) power off the hyper-v VM to be converted

4) convert the machine- dum question but still learning, if the VM is off how does the agent is reached???????

Thanks again

0 Kudos