VMware Cloud Community
bszh
Contributor
Contributor

IPV6 create vm

Sorry,I am not good at English,but  I have a few questions when I try to create a VM use IPV6 address.

first : I using the vmware SDK to create a Linux system VM,use IPV6 adress,I found if I set a IPV6 address,then mush  set a IPV4 adress

second : when I create a windows VM,use IPV6 adress,also must set a IPV4 adress, bug when I login system,Check network settings,I found the IPV4 setting do not have any adress and IPV6 setting have custom setting IP.when I use ipconfig command view IP setting,the result have a auto IPV4 address,a auto IPV6 address and custom IPV6 address

Sorry ,because my English is not good at ,I am not very sure my question clearly expressed? but ,I want get a answer,THANKS.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

I think I understand your problem but, it seems more a problem with your Guest OS (Linux) than a VM's NIC issue.

If you have only one NIC configured in the VM with a portgroup, then you have to configure it in your Guest OS.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
bszh
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much

do you mean that if I configure an IPV6 IP and an IPV4 IP for one network card, I need to manually configure it into the system?

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Of course, this is logic, if you don't configure a network card with an IP, it won't be able to connect to the network.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
bszh
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you again, but my question is, why do I create an ipv6 virtual machine via vmwareSDK ( CustomizationSpec.class and CustomizationIPSettingsIpV6AddressSpec.class), I must configure an IP address of Ipv4 using CustomizationFixedIp.class at the same time ? otherwise I will get an error.

0 Kudos
xyz20010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Do you find any answers?

Best Regards

James

0 Kudos