VMware Cloud Community
DBST
Contributor
Contributor

Migration of VMs from VCSA 6.7 to VCSA 7.0

Hello VMWare Community,

we need to migrate VMs from our old VCSA 6.7 (standalone) to our new VCSA 7.0 cluster.
How should we do that?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What exactly do you mean with "VCSA 6.7 (standalone)"?

The easiest way might be to add the old hosts to the new vCenter Server (btw. why didn't you just upgrade your vCenter Server?), and migrate the VMs using the builtin migration wizard.

André

0 Kudos
DBST
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André,

thx for your reply. Our old environment contains one esxi 6.7 host and one vcsa 6.7 and our new environment contains a cluster of two esxi 7.0 and two vcsa 7.0. We want to migrate the vms from the old environment to the new environment.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your post needs moving, so I have reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> our new environment contains a cluster of two esxi 7.0 and two vcsa 7.0
Please don't mind me asking, but what's the reason to deploy multiple VCSAs, i.e. why don't you manage all hosts with a single vCSA?

Anyway, unless the v6.7 host uses advanced features like distributed vSwitches, you may simply connect that host to one of the new vCSAs and migrate the VMs.
If the VMs are stored on shared storage that's accessible from the new hosts too, you can also shut down and unregister the VMs on the old host, and register them on the new ones.

André

0 Kudos
muakhtar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For upgrade please check the below point.

1. VMware Valid Subscription.

2. Hardware is comptabile with latest ESXi.

3. Firmware Upgrade.

4. Health Check for existing vcenter and esxi.

5.Upgrade vcenter

6. Upgrade ESXi

7. Upgrade VM's Toolbar

Munib Akhtar
VCP-DCV/VCP-DTM/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

As I understand you want to migrate virtual machines on new environment

if yes you can do in this way

share a LUN between old and new environment

Connect host (with out maintenance) on new environment and migrate vms on new host

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos