VMware Cloud Community
ParallelDigital
Contributor
Contributor

New/Upgraded ESXi - pasword recovery - data safety

Hi, hope you all are doing well.

I have a question regarding the security of the data during reinstallation/upgrading ESXi on the server device with the option for preserving existing VMFS. Because we have been left (after the last IT company) without access to the actual panel of ESXi we cannot do anything inside the WMware. I have found the solution with the installation of fresh ESXi and set up a new password. But I am worried about the data stored in the RAID. which are all data of the company. The question is: can I just physically unplug the controller from the server, reinstall ESXi and attach back the controller and have all the data immediately back online? Of course, I understand that VM with Windows Server I am going to have to setup from zero, but that is ok, I can prepare this on a separate device.

Or there is another option to reset the root password and preserve safetly the data at RAID?

Server Hardware:

ServerSetup.png

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> Of course, I understand that VM with Windows Server I am going to have to setup from zero
Can you please clarify this? Do you have a vCenter Server instance installed which manages the ESXi host(s)?

It's important to understand your environment prior to giving you an advice.

André

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

This is a Dell Server... and i see the following (assuming that is how the server was ordered and shipped)

There is the Dual SD Module with 2x16GB and the factory installed ESXi 6.7 is installed there. So when reinstalled the ESXi OS the datastores with the VMs are untouched because these are located on VDs provided by the PERC H740. There is no question from the installer about preserve a VMFS because there is no VMFS on the installation media(the SD cards).

If ESXi 6.7 currently in use.... the password can be reset to empty within 10min and 2 reboots with the help of a gparted live CD or your favorite LinuxCD. But i see also vSphere 7 as OEM is ordered and mostlikely this one is currently installed.

The Dell Default ESXi Password is "<STAG>!" which means the ServiceTag in Uppercase ( i think) followed by a Explanation mark without the < >. You should try this.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
ParallelDigital
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply a_p_, the situation is:

We have 4 VM on server:

• Windows Server with AD and File Server
  • 2 Workstations with Windows 10 Pro
  • 1 Voip Central

I care only about the data that is attached to the fileserver, that are on the RAID attached to this server. The systems on the virtual machines I will make them from 0 because I don't want to preserve the systems made by the previous IT company. I have a separate device where I have installed ESXi and created there VM with a new Windows Server with AD, which later gonna be ready to move to the fresh virtual machine on the DELL server.

About the access, I don't have access to anything, because the last company finish the job here and they didn't leave any access to any device...

0 Kudos
ParallelDigital
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply IRIX201110141, so cleaning that password seems an easy and safe task, and preserving all the data at RAID. Thanks for the directions.

But in general, all the passwords are changed by the previous company, and as I have mentioned before, they didn't share any access passwords with us at the end of the contract. So also no access to vSphare also. The last company make everything to make our lives harder...

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Again....   a new ESXi installation will not harm your VMs as long as your working with the SD Card. You can verify this within the ESXi Installer when comparing media size which will be around 16GB.

Again... if you have ESXi 6.7... and this will display on the Yellow/Black screen... a password recovery is possible.

Again..  did you try the Dell Default PW?

Question: Is there a Backup of the VMs configurated?

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
ParallelDigital
Contributor
Contributor

"Again.... a new ESXi installation will not harm your VMs as long as your working with the SD Card. You can verify this within the ESXi Installer when comparing media size which will be around 16GB."

Perfect

"Again... if you have ESXi 6.7... and this will display on the Yellow/Black screen... a password recovery is possible."

I will check this, btw I have found some documents that probably ESXi was updated to version 7.0, hope still this option going to be available.

"Again.. did you try the Dell Default PW?"

Yes, doesn't work.

" Is there a Backup of the VMs configurated?"

I have no idea, if we try to ask something about this last company, they don't tell us the whole information, or lie to us to make leave from them harder and harder.

0 Kudos