VMware Cloud Community
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Scanning very large VMFS 6 datastores for large objects - new approach and some related questions ...

Hi

Have you ever used tools like Testdisk, Photorec, scalpel or commercial recovery tools against a large VMFS-datastore ?

If yes - you probably noticed that this tools are slow.

When I started using this tools about 10 years ago we were dealing with VMFS 3 and VMFS 5 and a typical datastore had a size of several hundred GBs up to 2 TB.

Even back in the days scanning a datastore could take half a day  and more.

Scanning a datastore that was in production was something that you would only do in very important cases.

Nowadays the size of a virtual disk often is in TB-range and doing raw-scans with tools like scalpel is so time-consuming that you will only consider it in an emergency case.

If you have a 60 TB datastore and search for a lost vmdk the scan can easily take a week - and so you think twice before you would even attempt such a scan.

Anyway - I often must run scans of  very large datastores when doing VMFS recovery work so I had to look for new procedures.

As I cant do much about the reading speed - that would require indepth knowledge of ESXi or Linux internals - stuff that I dont know enough about to hope for significant performance boosts.

So the approach I used was to radically simplify and reduce the items that my scans must detect.

When a tool like Testdisk reads every kb of the datastore and checks that location against a database of hundreds of different signatures it is obvious that it will be very slow ... and will need days to scan a 60 TB datastore.

To spare you the boring details let me cut it short and give you the summary:

Task: find the first MB of a regular flat.vmdk on a 8 TB datastore that may still be in production use.

Known tools would do that in a day on fast hardware and in non-ideal conditions that time could go up to half a week easily.

Last week I made a test of my new approach using a nested ESXi 6.7 VM with a 8TB datastore.

Result: 9 objects from 12 known existing ones located in a 2 step procedure that required about 10 minutes to scan the first 3-4 gb.

Once I have those results a second scan reads the 8TB in just 2 minutes !!!

That is very very fast !

Right now the procedure finds flat.vmdks that are partitioned with MBR or GPT - the second is more reliable as GPT boot sectors are standardized.

At the moment  this procedure looks very promising and I will explain details soon.

Now I have a couple of questions for you guys ....

1. I will need to do real-live tests using production ESXis soon and are looking for test-objects. If you have very large VMFS 6 datastores and are interested please contact me.

2. Now I only search for flat.vmdks - and I would like to have some input on other large objects that are stored inside production VMFS 6 datastores.

Such other large objects could be used by VSAN , VVols or any other new feature or product of VMware that I have not seen yet.

Large objects mean that the object is typically at least 1 GB in size ...

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

3. Detecting flat.vmdks ...

If you want to know if I would detect your large flat.vmdk here is how you can check:

dd if=flat.vmdk of=/tmp/test.bin bs=1M count=1

hexdump -C /tmp/test.bin | grep " 00 00 55 aa"

hexdump -C /tmp/test.bin | grep " 45 46 49 20 50 41 52 54"

If first grep command matches - I list the location as a promising MBR-formatted candidate.

If both grep commands match - I list the location as a promising GPT-formatted candidate.

If you use valuable flat.vmdks that do not get detected and dont use very exotic stuff please let me know.

Thats all for now - looking for interesting feature requests and large objects that are widely used in production environments.

Ulli

0 Kudos
2 Replies
saneca
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever make any progress on this?  I'm having the same situation right now.  I lost a flat.vmdk file while migrating a drive from one VM to another.  I still have the .vmdk descriptor file and I'm trying to scan the VFMS6 Datastore... Such a long time!  If you had any advice I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.  

I'm using a Dell R540 Server with 12x10TB drives.  ESXi 6.7 as the host.  I have a 40TB NAS attached for the recovery if I can get the files back.  I'm looking for a 10TB drive that has all photos on it.  

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sadly, this user (his real name is Uli) passed away, so won’t reply to your comment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos