VMware Cloud Community
InfrastrukturIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Support for automatic VMware tools update on Windows Server 2022

Currently (on vSphere 7.0.3 U3k) when trying to update the VMware tools of a Windows Server 2022 to a newer version, a notice is displayed, stating that this operation is not supported. Does anybody have any information when VMware releases a version that is compatible with Server 2022?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm going from memory but your problem could be traced back to this KB article: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/87660 you should check if the inconvenience you encountered falls into this category.

Regards,
Ferdinando

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jsm79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What version of VMware Tools is on the VM now? And what version are you trying to go to?

I just upgraded a 2022 VM from 12325 to 12352 with no issues, but I am on vSphere 8.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Actually, if you consult the VMware tools release note starting from version 12.0.0 (available from March 1, 2022) it explicitly mentions support for Microsoft Windows server 2022, despite the fact that several previous versions also worked just as well.

Then I'll tell you that even if I wanted to, I couldn't update them "automatically" since I recently set up my desktop/server systems not to have any CD-Rom drives and the SATA/IDE controllers had been removed/disabled.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
InfrastrukturIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Im trying to go to the most current version that U3k will let me which i think is 12.0.5. Currently when trying an automatic update or just trying to check for the current installed tools version via vSphere on a Server 2022 VM i just get an error stating that: "The operation is not supported on the object." (See attachment)

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm going from memory but your problem could be traced back to this KB article: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/87660 you should check if the inconvenience you encountered falls into this category.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
InfrastrukturIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks like that's exactly my problem. I guess im just gonna have to be patient then. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Comment removed...

0 Kudos