VMware Cloud Community
jlorang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Updated vCenter from 6.7 to 7.0 and now get an error message

Have a horizon view environment and need some help with Licensing.  

Below is what I did so far -

1 - updated vCenter from 6.7 to 7.0 using the same vCenter license version (Essentials)

After updating I get the error message on both hosts " The host license edition is not compatible with the vCenter Server License Editon"

Runing two hosts both on version 6.7

The hosts both have the license "VMware vSphere 6 Desktop host"

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Are you sure that you had an Essentials license assigned to the old vCenter Server?

Since you have a "VMware vSphere 6 Desktop host" license, you should also have a vCenter Server license for the Horizon environment in the VMware Customer Connect portal.

André

0 Kudos
jlorang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank You for the reply

We did/do have the Essentials vCenter license for vCenter 6 on the vCenter 6.7 before upgrading to vcsa 7.0 so I just upgraded the same license in the Customer connect portal.  I do have a license called "vCenter Server 7 Standard for Horizon".  I will see if that one will take.

0 Kudos
jlorang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just went and swapped out the license in vCenter for the vCenter Server 7 Standard for Horizon and results in the same error message. (The host license edition is not compatible with the vCenter Server License edition).  I have licensing for all the products, looks like I need some guidance on what license to apply.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With the "Horizon" licenses assigned to the vCenter Server instance as well as to the hosts, this looks perfectly ok to me.

Not exactly sure about this alarm, but some alarms need - once triggered - to be acknowledged, and reset. Please see whether this is the case with the license alarm.

Other than this, it may be worth a try to disconnect/connect the hosts (one at a time) from/to the vCenter inventory.

André

0 Kudos
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As @a_p_ wrote you should try to clear the error. Can you post a printscreen of the vCenter inventory. With the "horizon" vCenter license the host should no longer be disconnected.

0 Kudos
jlorang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Issue Ended up being resolved by consolidating licensing for both he vCenter and hosts.  Thank you all for the suggestions

0 Kudos