VMware Cloud Community
ukotdiya
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade to ESXI 6.0.0 U3 from ESXI 6.0.0 U2 create complete connectivity loss in 10 giga bit NIC card due to incompatible ixgbe driver

When I upgrade to ESXI 6.0.0 U3 from ESXI 6.0.0 U2 on my supermicro server with 10 gigabit (SM X10SDV-TLN4F-B mother board) the network connectivity get lost. This was due to U2 contains ixgbe driver from intel whereas U3 contains ixgbe driver from vmWare. How to fix this issue?

I am attaching screen shot for U3 ( black part) and U2 (White part of image) showing different drivers. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Hello!

How did you perform an upgrade?

If you upgrade ESXi from CLU to preserve driver's version run 'esxcli software update' instead of 'esxcli software install'.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The driver version on the Update 2 screenshot must either have been installed manually (it's an OEM driver, that's no in the official VMware image), or had been integrated in a custom installation image. Anyway, you can download custom drivers from https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/6_0#driver..., and install them with the update (depending on which way you are installing updates).

André

0 Kudos