VMware Cloud Community
SteverCMC2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

V8 License backward compatiblity

I have an existing Vcenter6 essentials environment with all licenses used. I purchased a new server with embedded ESXI 7 that I need to get a license for.  I also want to be able to managed the new ESXI V7 host and and one of the old ESXI V6 hosts in a new Vcenter.  I worked with my reseller and was told if I purchased a V8 license it would be good for any lower version host. I do not want to upgrade my existing V6 keys to a higher version for fear the hosts would quit working unless I upgraded ESXI on all of them, which I don't want to do right away and may not be able to do on some due to hardware compatibility.

I tried to assign the V8 essentials license I purchased to my V7 ESXI host and I  get "Please enter a valid license" and a red X.

If I try to connect an existing standalone ESXI V6 host (not connected to any Vcenter) to my new Vcenter8, I get a warning that the existing V6 license will be part of two Vcenters and non compliant. Of course trying to change the license on that ESXIV6 host to a ESXI V8 license gives me the same error that I get on the V7 host.

Can I not due what I am trying to do despite the fact hat the reseller verified with Vmware that it would work? If I upgrade my V6 licenses to V8 does it invalidate the existing V6 licenses and put me in upgrade or die situation?

I thought I laid out the scenario clearly with the reseller before purchase and I felt comfortable I would be ok. But nothing is working as I had hoped it would.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or what my path forwards needs to be?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This should help: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81665

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
battybishop
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

you should be able to download licences via the customer connect portal and choose

battybishop_0-1697719041262.png

Select your 8 license and choose downgrade

battybishop_1-1697719106616.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This should help: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/81665

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
battybishop
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

you should be able to download licences via the customer connect portal and choose

battybishop_0-1697719041262.png

Select your 8 license and choose downgrade

battybishop_1-1697719106616.png

0 Kudos
SteverCMC2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I only have divide or move options. No downgrade.

SteverCMC2_0-1697721726272.png

0 Kudos
SteverCMC2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Apparently you have to click the Downgradable tick box instead of All to make the downgrade option appear.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
battybishop
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

apologies forgot to mention that step.

0 Kudos