VMware Cloud Community
VM_JOf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM having a nested Snapshots, Why it doesn't delete automatically?

Hello Everyone,

Need some advise from your end. Does any experience this before?

One of my VM having a nested VM which should be automatically deleted.

There were no such policy to retain such snapshots.

NetBackup also shown successful backup job.

No Simplivity Backup Policy set to conflict with.. So I don't why this VM retained few snapshots and I have to delete it manually just to release some storage space.

----

Infra Overview:

VMware Infra: 1x vCenter 6.5 / 2x ESXi Hos under HPE Simplivity Box

Main Backup Software: NetBackup

---

Thanks in advance,

JOf

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VM_JOf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guys,

Just to update you on this issue.

As mentioned, from NetBackup Software end, everything is fine, no failure of backups or whatsoever.

i found a configuration on the snapshot Task menu and there were a set schedule creating a manual snapshots every 12midnight. Smiley Wink

So, If you encounter the same scenario/issue, check the VM Monitor tab, Task and events Menu then Check in Schedule Tasks.

#HappyVirtualizing

Regards

VM_JOf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

For any image based backup, primarily there will be two tasks in the VM's tasks/events tab. Creation of snapshot and remove snapshot. Highlight the VM --> Go to its tasks/events tab --> enter 'snapshot' in the search bar --> It will list all the snapshot related activities. Every snapshot creation task will be followed by snapshot removal task. If there has been a miss on the snapshot removal task, VM builds on snapshots.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
VM_JOf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Will check on it. If there's a missed snapshot removal task, what should I do then?

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If there is a missed snapshot removal task, the backup tool might not have sent the API call. If it was received, need to check if any of the snapshot removal tasks failed.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

VM_JOf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There were no snapshot removal task that I can trace in the task and event console, Only creating snapshots, that's all.. any idea? From the NetBackup end, every backup schedule are successful though..

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Need to check with the backup vendor as to why a snapshot creation call is not followed up with a snapshot removal call.

Cheers,

Supreet

Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

On a side note you can configure vCenter Server to send alarms when virtual machines are running from snapshots.

VMware Knowledge Base

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered

0 Kudos
VM_JOf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guys,

Just to update you on this issue.

As mentioned, from NetBackup Software end, everything is fine, no failure of backups or whatsoever.

i found a configuration on the snapshot Task menu and there were a set schedule creating a manual snapshots every 12midnight. Smiley Wink

So, If you encounter the same scenario/issue, check the VM Monitor tab, Task and events Menu then Check in Schedule Tasks.

#HappyVirtualizing

Regards

VM_JOf

0 Kudos