VMware Cloud Community
cesarsj
Contributor
Contributor

VM in VMWare VCenter with CPU usage alert, but what kind of usage?

In Zabbix we have items that monitor CPU usage idle time; interrupt time; iowait time; nice time; softirq time; system time; and user time. The value that most closely matches the CPU Utilization that is generating a VM's alert in VCenter is the User Time, with 50%, while in VMWare it says that VM has 70% CPU utilization. Would this CPU usage in VMWare be a sum of some of these types of CPU that Zabbix monitors?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@cesarsj 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

you should ask someone who works on Zabbix, as there are so many different metrics, and combinations of metrics rolling up in to new metrics, that it is hard for us to say what they are using and if they are combining metrics.

0 Kudos
cesarsj
Contributor
Contributor

"system.cpu.util[<cpu>,<type>,<mode>]
CPU utilisation percentage. Float cpu - <CPU number> or all (default)
type - possible values:
user (default), idle, nice, system (default for Windows), iowait, interrupt, softirq, steal, guest (on Linux kernels 2.6.24 and above), guest_nice (on Linux kernels 2.6.33 and above). Parameters user and nice time no longer include guest time and guest_nice time since Zabbix 3.0.14, 3.4.5 and 4.0.0.
See also platform-specific details for this parameter.
mode - possible values:
avg1 (one-minute average, default), avg5, avg15"

https://www.zabbix.com/documentation/4.0/manual/config/items/itemtypes/zabbix_agent

I asked on the Zabbix forum but no one answered yet:

https://www.zabbix.com/forum/zabbix-help/415321-vm-in-vmware-vcenter-with-cpu-usage-alert-but-what-k...

0 Kudos