VMware Cloud Community
kindzma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM issues with "Object type requires hosted I/O"

Can't take a snapshot, clone, perform suggested consolidation on a Win Server 2012r2 VM: "Object type requires hosted I/O".

The VM is running on ESXi 7.0.3 (21686933). Some of the symptoms / issues:
- "Virtual machine disks consolidation is needed" message on the VM summary and under "triggered alarms".
- Consolidation appears to have completed successfully yet the alarm remains.
- VM logs show a number of events of the type, "VMxxxx-000001.vmdk" : failed to open (Object type requires hosted I/O)."
- The folder containing VM files shows 20+ of VMxxxx-000001-s00x.vmdk files with varying size of between several MBs and 1GB+. There are no snapshots in the "snapshots" tab however.
- Attempting to take a snapshot or clone the VM fails with "An error occurred while saving the snapshot: Object type requires hosted I/O."

While the VM is still operational, we are concerned that if fails, we will not be able to repair it given inability to take snapshots or clone it.

(Rebuilding it from scratch would be a good option - yet I am unsure that option is available to me - the VM runs critical workloads with a lot of vendor-specific configuration.)

I've searched for similar issues, and see a lot of similar ones for something called HOASS (Home Assistant) - yet not seeing anything directly mirroring what we are experiencing.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
0 Replies