VMware Cloud Community
grantalbitz3
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Nic suddenly recognized as new adapter on all 2022 Servers

I had a weird issue today where all of my 2022 servers lost their static IP in my home lab. it impacted 8 server 2022 machines. Linux guests were not impacted. 

Some backstory

Vsphere 8 with the latest esxi 8.0b on 2 hosts. The issue spanned both hosts. I recently redid my shared storage yesterday so I had briefly moved all vms to host 2 so that I could redo the shared storage (host 1 only has access to the shared datastore). When this was complete I moved all vms back to their normal location. Half on host 1 half on host2.

Everything worked fine. I should mention that vmware tools is the latest as well. 

Today I logged in to 2 machines via RDP and they both had a system tray icon stating a reboot was required to finalize the paravirtual driver. I found that odd since I had not updated vmware tools or ran any windows updates recently but I kinda shrugged it off.

i started noticing DNS resolution was failing and when I checked my dcs I noted that had pulled DHCP rather than having their static IP. Upon further investigation I found this was impacting every single server 2022 box. All my windows vms are 2022 except I have 1 windows 11 box, the windows 11 machine was not impacted nor was linux.

The cause is the vmxnet3 adapter was recognized as a new #2 adapter suddenly, while the original was listed under device manager as a hidden device. I've only seen this when changing the network card type in vmware (edit settings) or of course adding a new nic. I am still unclear as to why this happened, why it impacted all servers and spanned both hosts.

I found this very odd, the timing is also odd. Windows updates last ran 2/16. I have rebooted the machines since then and also several times in the past few days. I have rebooted them since fixing all of this and the fix has remained.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Are VMware tools OK? which version? What is the Hardware compatibility version?

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

@grantalbitz3, Hi,

One thing, coincidentally, you haven't upgraded your virtual hardware compatibility level to "20" (so ESXi 8.0 and later) before or after
vMotioning them. Also check the corresponding file with ".VMX" extension for the presence of the chipset.motherboardlayout="acpi" line.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
grantalbitz3
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded them to 20 when i installed esxi, that was back a bit when 8.0 went GA.

chipset.motherboardLayout = "acpi"

this is in the vmx, is this somehow a problem or were you asking me to verify it was there.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

I asked you as confirmation, because I've already run into your same problem whose origin is given by the previously absent chipset.motherboardLayout = "acpi" option, otherwise you would have noticed it some time before. If you check among the hidden devices, besides the network card you will probably find many others.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos