VMware Cloud Community
RA5
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual TPM error

I'm running into an error that I can't seem to resolve. Setup:

Dell R640 running 7.0U3 with Vcenter 7.0U3

In Vcenter I added a native key provider and backed it up. The native key providers looks OK.  

I create a new VM with a Virtual TPM and it it returns this error.

A general runtime error occurred. Key provider vTPM2 is not compatible with the host Reason: The host does not support Native Key Provider

I have tried deleting the native key provider and creating a new one but that hasn't helped.   Looks like a Vcenter bug?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That sounds like you are trying to do encryption on the host which will use TPM, vTPM will be just for your VM's.

--Alan--

0 Kudos
RA5
Contributor
Contributor

Not exactly.  From the VM, I add TPM, and after I click complete, I receive that error message.   

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hmm, thats odd. It almost sounds like licensing. I'm not sure what level the host needs to be at, I think vcenter TPM can be added with any license level. Something to check on. 

--Alan--

0 Kudos
RA5
Contributor
Contributor

I have the appropriate license.  

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is your host part of a cluster ? 

--Alan--

0 Kudos
RA5
Contributor
Contributor

It's not part of a cluster.  I have 2 hosts attached to attached to Vcenter.  One running 6.5 (currently turned off) and one running 7 u3.

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pretty sure that is the issue then. Hosts have to be in a cluster for TPM.

--Alan--

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Yeah, it needs to be in a cluster.

0 Kudos
RA5
Contributor
Contributor

OH!  Thank you, that wasn't obvious to me.  This is running in my lab (single host with Vcenter).  It doesn't look like I can configure a cluster with Vcenter running on the lone host?

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You should be able to have a single host in a cluster, its just a little unusual to do so.

--Alan--

0 Kudos
RA5
Contributor
Contributor

It asked me to put the host in maintenance mode which means shutting down the VMs.  Is that chicken/egg scenario?

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've never tried that, but I would probably let it go ahead and if you don't have vcsa set to automatically run at start then you will have to go to the host gui and start vcsa manually after it adds to the cluster.

--Alan--

0 Kudos
Martin26
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I seeing the same thing running vSphere Essentials, VMware ESXi, 7.0.3, 18644231 on a Dell R640, BIOS Version 2.12.2

A general runtime error occurred. Key provider [name of key] Key is not compatible with the host [host name]. Reason: "The host does not support Native Key Provider."

My understanding is vTPN should work an any licence and you don't need HA.

Thanks

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And your host is part of a cluster ? 

--Alan--

Martin26
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply.

No it's not, I'm running vSphere Essentials so I don't have the option.

My understanding is you don't need a cluster if you're just using vTPM.

0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm thinking you can't use the native provider without vcenter. Maybe you could use standard with KMS.

--Alan--

0 Kudos
RA5
Contributor
Contributor

I have created a cluster in Vcenter and added a single host to the cluster.  The vTPM can now be added to VMs on that host.   Seems like an arbitrary limit and/or bug to restrict this to hosts in a cluster. 

Martin26
Contributor
Contributor

ok, I found the cluster menu and can now add the vTPM

Create a Cluster (vmware.com)

Thanks,

Martin 

0 Kudos