VMware Cloud Community
RDBMSnoob
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Server Appliance Installer stuck at 80% when pointing to an ESXi 8 (Enterprise Plus) host

Is anybody having an issue with doing the vCenter Server Appliance Installer when pointing to a ESXi 8 Host.

The initial installation of the ESXi Host went smoothly. The ESXi 8 host is licensed via the VMUG license key which I have downloaded.

I wanted to put on vCenter Server 8. However when trying to do the installation of VMware Server Appliance, installation gets stuck on 80% saying its installing RPMs. I can see the VM has been created on the ESXi Host. 

Have checked the NTP server is started on the ESXi Host (BeeLink GTR7 Pro) as well as the PTP service.

I am trying to run the vCenter Server appliance Installation from my laptop pointing to the ESXi 8 host (192.168.68.111). The installation from what I understand creates a VM on the ESXi Host which has the vCenter Server Appliance.

My ESXi Host is called localhost.localdomain and has an IP of 192.168.68.111 and my "VM" which is built via the vCenter Server Installer run from my laptop I have given it an IP of 192.168.68.197. (Note nothing else is using that IP).
I have edited my hosts file on my windows laptop which I am running the vCenter installer GUI to include both ESXi host and the "VM" that will be vCenter Server as the below:

192.168.68.111 localhost.localdomain

192.168.68.197 vcsa-ip.localdomain

From my laptop I can ping the localhost.localdomain and it returns but the vcsa-ip VM returns destination host unreachable.

I also made the same change in /etc/hosts on the ESXi Host to have the same as the above. Would this get round the DNS issue?

When I do an ipconfig /all on my Windows Laptop which is on the same network as the ESXi host and the "VM" it gives me the following DNS servers listed below.

DNS Servers - 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.68.1

*Note my initial router supplied by ISP is 192.168.1 network and I have a Deco Mesh which basically does the Wifi as the wifi signal is bad in my house. Would this make a difference?

Any help is much appreciated!

Attached the screen grab of the console of the vCenter Server VM that was installed as part of the UI installer.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies