VMware Cloud Community
jscooper22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vMotion works on one VM but not the other, both with same EVC CPU Mode

I'm prepping to do a firmware update on my HPE DL380. I have a second host (a DL360). I'd like to move a couple critical VMs from my DL380 to the DL360 so they don't go offline during the update.

I have vSphere 8. My Hosts are esxi 7.0.3.

My VMs have the same EVC setting (Intel "Cascade Lake" Generation).

One started on DL360, I was able to move it using vMotion to DL380 then back again.

Another, also "Cascade Lake", is initially on DL380 but when I try to migrate it to DL360 I get the following

The target host does not support the virtual machine's current hardware requirements. Use a cluster with Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC) enabled to create a uniform set of CPU features across the cluster, or use per-VM EVC for a consistent set of CPU features for a virtual machine and allow the virtual machine to be moved to a host capable of supporting that set of CPU features. See KB article 1003212 for cluster EVC information. MDS_NO is not supported. RSBA_NO is not supported. IBRS_ALL is not supported. RDCL_NO is not supported. Advanced Vector Extensions 512 Vector Neural Network Instructions (AVX512VNNI) are unsupported.

EVC Mode is disabled on both hosts.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jscooper22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Being Easter Sunday I figured it would be quiet so I tried something. I shutdown the VM giving me the error, moved it from the DL380 to the DL360, then started it and it came right up. I'm assuming that just having a compatible VCC isn't enough. I still need to let it power up on the lesser-powerful host so it can "figure out" what features it has. Now that I've done that, I should be able to move it back and forth since the more powerful machine can be made to be effectively, from the VMs' POV, "downgraded," but not the other way around.

This is just an assumption. If someone could confirm this I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

0 Kudos