VMware Cloud Community
stinkyptoz
Contributor
Contributor

vRealize Appliances - Modify IP/DNS Server

Hi All,

I'm just looking for some advice regarding changing the DNS Server allocated to our vRealize appliances.

Basically, I was wondering if modifying the relevant vAPP options for the appliance will actually change the DNS server or whether I actually need to login to the appliance itself and modify it from there?

As I understand it, the vAPP options can only be changed once the appliance is powered off?!

Thanks in advance for any pointers...

Cheers,

Emb

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

Let's put it this way, changing certain settings in the context of the "vRealize Appliance" in my opinion it is not adequately documented and consequently complicated but there is a VAMI folder that contains some tools that "can be used" for this purpose.

Take this article for example:
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2115840

To be on the safe side, in a production context, I would exchange words with technical support.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
stinkyptoz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for the response 🙂

Yes, I did see that article and I just wasn't sure whether or not the vAPP option update/s had any bearing on "Option 1" or "Option 2"... from what I have read, updating the vAPP options only comes into play if the applicance is exported to an OVA/OFV, but I'm not 100% sure I'm correct in thinking this is the case?

I totally agree though, documentation relating to this subject is hard to find or almost non existant. 😞

Cheers,

Emb

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

Some time ago I had to reset the DNS server in the context of my two appliances part of the vRealize suite ("Operation Manager" and "Log Insight") and, after taking the necessary precautions, I used the "vami_config_net" tool without even considering "vAPP" of sorts. Otherwise I would have modified the relevant configuration files, supported or not.

It is clear that everything depends on the context, in my context which is modest and a sort of "homelab" the non-functionality of those appliances would be a nuisance but not an insurmountable problem.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos