ESX deployment appliance v1.05

https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/products/esx-deployment-appliance-eda

ESX Deployment Appliance (EDA) is a small and easy to use appliance

that makes deploying ESX servers a breeze. It has a very intuitive

web-interface that can configure and deploy dozens of ESX servers in

minutes. It has a script-builder that will allow any admin to create

%post-scripts that will do most anything one needs to get the ESX hosts

up and running! Even if deploying with RDP/Altiris or the UDA, this

script-builder can help setting those up very quickly.

850 Replies
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am desperate to implement automated deployment for my ESX environment as I have deploy many host. Can someone guide me?

It is DL380G5 with two Broadcom NIC onboard and intel nic as addon. I have only one nic going to production. VLAN is untagged at both end but not able understand where I am going wrong.

I have attached screenshot for AltF3 ,AltF4 and screen as well

0 Kudos
tsmit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I did have a problem like this, I did connect the wrong NIC to my laptop/EDA-appliance. The ESX was PXE-booting from the second NIC, but when the install procedure try to connect again, It tries to connect with the first NIC (default within ESX installation) and that NIC was not connected to the EDA appliance.

When I did connect the EDA appliance to the first NIC (Bridged over the first NIC with VMware workstation) it al runs smoothly again.

Hopes this wil help you a little further.

Good luck.

Grt. Tom

0 Kudos
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well my EDA is running on one of the ESX host and my ESX host (which I am trying to install ) is physical host on the same VLAN and untagged

0 Kudos
tsmit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I suppose you're using the DHCP-server from EDA and that there is no other DHCP server on your network?

In my opinion it has something to do with the network, was is not doing correctly somewhere, as far as I can imagine.

You can try to put a cross-cable between the host with the EDA applicance and the host you want to install. Make a seperate vSwitch only connected to the physical NIC with the crosscable connected and put the other end into the first NIC of the host you want to install and try again (if that is possible ofcourse) and see what happens then. Untill now all the problems I did have are my own fault. The appliance did work fine ofcourse no garanty Smiley Happy ).

Good luck with trying.

0 Kudos
Vampire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Funtoosh,

I had the same problems during my experiments with installing my ESX-Servers with EDA on my HP ProLiant Servers and the using of VLANs with our Cisco switches. My EDA is also running on one of my ESX-Servers. You have to remember the following things before you can install:

• the installation routine has no support for vlan tagging so during install you can't use it

• during reboot step into the Bios from your HP Server and check from which NIC PXE boot is enabled (on my blade servers I have to enable PXE and can only enable PXE for one network card)

• check your LAN Switch that the LAN Port from which you wan't to install the native VLAN is set to the VLAN the EDA is running with

• if you use trunks for service console ports check that the option "port fast trunk" is enabled for cisco switches, because it takes to long to get the switch ports up during pxe boot

• maybe there is a same problem on lan switches from other vendors

• then install

Pay attention that the cisco switch can't handle, if you put native vlan and trunk vlan with same numbers on our port on the cisco. During post exec script you should switch over to another nic for your service console to get connection to it. After completion of installation you can remove native vlan or set to one so that the redundance of two trunk ports (with or without channeling) is working again.

Regards

-

0 Kudos
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

• the installation routine has no support for vlan tagging so during install you can't use it

YES I created untagged VLAN on the switch and made NIC of ESX host running EDA part of same untagged VLAN

• during reboot step into the Bios from your HP Server and check from which NIC PXE boot is enabled (on my blade servers I have to enable PXE and can only enable PXE for one network card)

I have 3 dual PORT nic. One ON BOARD (BROADCOM)and other two as a PCI (INTEL)card

I have install ESX using manual way to figure out which port is configured as what

All the broadcom nic marked as vmnic1 and vmnic2. Intel is marked as nic0 which is in PCI slot. I have no way to enable PXE on that nic. Worked with HP and they also not sure.

I am sure my problem is not unique and others may have came across this

0 Kudos
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

DHCP server I am running on EDA. I have DHCP running on windows environment. But it has WDS/MDT configured for it. So I created separate VLAN for this testing purpose. This VLAN has only MDT and test ESX host. It get DHCP IP fine. I don’t have luxury to use cross over cable Smiley Wink because I am 4000 miles away and I am the only one who knows can make it work if all it will work Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Vampire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

• I have 3 dual PORT nic. One ON BOARD (BROADCOM)and other two as a PCI (INTEL)card

• All the broadcom nic marked as vmnic1 and vmnic2. Intel is marked as
    nic0 which is in PCI slot. I have no way to enable PXE on that nic.
    Worked with HP and they also not sure.

I don't unterstand, on my blade servers there are also broadcom chips and within the bios I can enable if I want to use PXE boot or not. This should be the same on your DL380. For your Intel cards there should pop up an option to configure this cards during bios initialization to also enable pxe boot.

At which point does your installation not go on? As I see on your screenshot the initial PXE boot is working to start der installation procedure, but after starting installation it doesn't get the config informations via http. Is this correct?

How many DHCP servers are you running within the same network segment? For testing there is now only the EDA with its DHCP-Server and your ESX-Server within the same segment and no windows dhcp?

Sorry, but what is WDS/MDT? And you need a very long cable :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can enable PXE on onbord broadcom dual port but not sure how to enable it add on intel NIC.

Yes it fail on http request as you can see it on Alt+F3 screen. On this VLAN it has only one DHCP server which is EDA nothing else. This is dedicated VLAN for EDA testing. No other DHCP server running.

If I can understand what reverse name lookup it is doing probably I will be able to find solution for sure

MDT/WDS is MS deployment service which I have setup for windows deployment.

0 Kudos
Vampire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To get your environment complete some more questions for my understand:

You have 6 nics within your server, what is what and what NIC are you using during PXE-Boot ?

- NIC0 - ???

- NIC1 - Broadcom Chip - vmnic1

- NIC2 - Broadcom Chip - vmnic2

- NIC3 until 5 - Intel Chip ??

Which interface have you configured for installation in EDA? When you klick within EDA on one of your hostname and the "ks" link then the complete config is shown? Which interface is shown there on the line beginning with "network" ??

Please make sure that when you have enabled the Broadcom Chip for PXE Boot and this is NIC1 within your server you also use eth1 for your network setup. And as I wrote check the lan switch port setup, if you use trunks, that "port fast trunk" is enabled.

Reverse Name Lookup means, that the installation routines tries to get the IP address for the hostname, for example he asks -> who is "host1.mynetwork.com" and the answer from dns will be "192.168.100.100"

I think, that something in your network config is still not correct.

0 Kudos
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

- NIC0 - Intel

- NIC1 - Broadcom Chip - vmnic1

- NIC2 - Broadcom Chip - vmnic2

- NIC3 until 5 - Intel Chip

I have tried with all the permutation and combination like eth0/eth1. I am sure they are using "post fast trunk" because ESX3.X will not communicate over SC. I have tried enabling PXE on both the broadcom NIC.

I know what reverse lookup is but as mention in screenshot I am not sure what reverse lookup it is trying to perform

Thanks for all your advice Vampire

0 Kudos
Vampire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm still not the time to give up Smiley Happy Maybe you can post here your ks-config file outpout without personal data or "xxx" within it or do an attachment to find errors in the config and then do some more tries.

Is there no bios information from your intel network cards shown during starting the server to step into the bios from these cards, may be some like press "strg + q".

Regards

0 Kudos
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We shuffling some host across location and I got instruction to shift this appliance setup as well. I am glad that you read my mind "Not to time to give up". I will back shortly when my host arrive at the new location.

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1: there's no point in adding stuff after the EOF2. everything in the input box is what gets executed after the first reboot. all stuff before and after it are just to get it to work. if you need a reboot after the script has run, add 'shutdown -t 60 +3 -r &' at the end of the input box. this will initiate a reboot in 3 minutes which should be plenty of time for any scripts that run after the installscript has finished.

2: there's a logfile in /tmp called esxcfg.txt or something. it usually shows exactly what commands went wrong. just 'cat' or 'less' it to view it.

3: thank you Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

funtoosh,

i see that tom and vampire got you pointed in the right direction already. good to see people helping eachother!

you may be interested to know that you're not the first to have exactly this problem and that it is fixable Smiley Wink this thread is getting too long to scan through it on the web so i captured the first 100 messages into a pdf file which makes a search so very much easier Smiley Happy have a look at .

in short there are some basic rules when using VLANs with EDA (or any other pxe solution for that matter):

• make sure the ESX ip addresses are in the SAME ip range as the EDA. very important, it will not work if they're on different subnets.

• only if you can enter a VLAN tag in your BIOS for pxe (like some dell machines can), can you use EDA on a tagged network. in all other cases, you HAVE to use native vlan tagging for pxe boot. that means that when EDA runs on a ESX server, you create a portgroup with no vlan tags and have the physical switches add the tag (called native in Cisco language). the service console portgroup can not be tagged either. if you absolutely cannot have an EDA in your service console network you need to add a second console vswif and remove the first, all from the script. this is possible because once the script starts, the ESX server is running and can be on another subnet than the EDA. we leave the EDA at our customers as a disaster recovery system (or even a quick upgrade system;)* upgrading to U4 by reinstalling it with EDA is much faster than a remediate Smiley Happy) and it's usually considered part of the management network wether it runs DHCP or not..

• when installing an ESX server, the network gets initiated 3 times before the first reboot. unfortunately the NIC detection routines differ slightly which causes the network order to change. so when pxe starts, your first onboard nic could be considered eth0 while the second step sees it as eth1. in the EDA there's an option to specifically set the ksdevice. you could try changing that from eth0 to eth1 or higher and see if that helps

• as for WDS, that's a very strange toolset from microsoft. even if the DHCP server points to something else, the WDS server still reponds to pxe and tftp queries. very annoying tool. i need to disable it most of the time before i can install my servers. even if i add the mac addresses of the hosts i'm installing as reservations in the dhcp scope, WDS keeps coming through.

hm, perhaps i should add this to the quick start guide ()

0 Kudos
tsmit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Herco,

1. I just found out something similair this afternoon (I'm not a linux guy so it takes some extra time Smiley Happy ), but thanks.

2. Oke, I will have a look at it. Thanks again.

Grt.

Tom

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK! It's finaly there. the first patch for EDA.. go to http://virtualappliances.eu to get a quick step by step instruction on how to apply the patch. future patches will be much easier but this first one needs a quick file-edit unfortunately..

list of fixes:

- hostname entries with special formats are now accepted either per one or per many

- interface cleanup

- fs.php page includes automatic patching

- preliminary esx4 detection (doesn't fully install yet but at least it detects the version)

- scriptparts have been updated. it assumes 3.5 as default version but has some 3.0 scriptparts as well

are there any bugs or features that you guys desperatly need? i'm leaving for the states next saterday which means i have plenty of time to kill Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Mouchel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are receiving this auto-reply email to let you know that your message has been blocked and quarantined. This action has been taken to protect against inappropriate e-mails affecting the operation of the council systems.

If this e-mail is of a legitimate business nature and has been scanned by an up to date antivirus tool, please forward an e-mail to Mail_Administrator@bathnes.gov.uk and arrangements will be made for the e-mail to be delivered to the intended recipient. Thank you for your co-operation.

The contents of this email message, and any attachments, are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. The message does not necessarily express the views of Bath & North East Somerset Council and should be considered personal unless there is a specific statement to the contrary.

If you have received this email in error you may not take any action based on it, nor should you copy or show this to anyone; please reply to it and highlight the error to the sender, then delete the message from your system.

The provision of links to Web sites which are not part of the Bath & North East Somerset Council domain are provided for convenient information sharing purposes. The Council is not responsible for the reliability of these links, or the information provided, and it is not intended to imply endorsement of the site.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for all known viruses by the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service.

Subscribe to Inform - Bath & North East Somerset Council?s free weekly e-newsletter. Click http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/inform3

Making Bath & North East Somerset an even better place to Live, Work and Visit.

0 Kudos
solgae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

With the latest version of the EDA, I found a problem with the install.

When the EDA appliance is configured for DHCP, and the ESX install is started, the error message "could not locate " pops up. Then, I had to type in the IP address of the EDA to get the install working. Is this by design?

Also, did anyone tried this with 3.5 update 4?

0 Kudos
Vampire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

ich bin vom 27.04. bis einschließlich 04.05.2009 nicht zu erreichen. Bei dringenden Fragen wenden Sie sich bitte an meinen Kollegen Halil Balci (Durchwahl: 6433).

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank Hennen

0 Kudos