VMware Virtual Appliances Community
rpmatthews
Contributor
Contributor

UDA - vSphere Install: No COS NICs Error

I'm desperately hoping someone can help me with the following error trying to deploy ESX 4 using Ultimate Deployment Appliance 2.0.

I am PXE booting a Dell PE1950 Server successfully and get as far as running the yellow ESX Installation splash screen. At this point the installer loads various drivers and then attempts to run the kix script from UDA. At this point the installation fails with the following error:

"No COS NICs have been added by the user".

The installation then pauses for a while before attempt to continue the install from CD at which point an error occurs as the installation CD isn't present. I have entered the console with "ALT-F4" and checked the "ESX_Install.confg" log in /var/logs.

Attached are screenshots of both errors regarding the COS NICs and the CD-ROM. Initially I thought the COS NICs was a red herring and the error was elsewhere, however after much investigation I'm not so sure.

If anyone could provide some assistance or guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Richard

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MaxwellSmart86
Contributor
Contributor

I am in search of the same exact problem.

I am using a script that is known to work as a KS script on these same machines. The Appliance works flawlessly for what I want to use it for so I am hoping and praying that someone else has this problem.

The Machines are all Dell 1850's just like the other user who posted. The only other thing I might add is a BIOS version of A06 and Drac Firmware of 1.60(Build 10.04 and Hardware version of A00)

Here is my Script. I have followed every possible thing I can think of, I am greatly hoping that someone can help.

Tim Pierson, President Data-Sentry, Inc. Contributing author to the book- "VMware vSphereTM and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment" ISBN-10: 0137158009 Pearson Publishing.
rpmatthews
Contributor
Contributor

I have seem forums that suggest using the "ipappend 1" statement in the kix script command line. However I don't where in UDA 2.0 to apply this setting.

I experienced the same error "Parted couldn't open device /dev/sda" and discovered the Dell DRAC virtual media was causing the issue. Disable "Auto-Attach" media in the Remote Access settings and also disable "Virtual Flash". The installation should then discover /dev/sda.

0 Kudos
MaxwellSmart86
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so very much for your help.

I will try those things...

MaxwellSmart86

Tim Pierson, President

Data-Sentry, Inc.

tjpierson@data-sentry.com

Contributing author to the book-

"VMware vSphereTM and Virtual Infrastructure Security:

Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment"

ISBN-10: 0137158009 Pearson Publishing.

Tim Pierson, President Data-Sentry, Inc. Contributing author to the book- "VMware vSphereTM and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment" ISBN-10: 0137158009 Pearson Publishing.
xinity77
Contributor
Contributor

hy all,

I've had the same problem with a Blade m100e from DELL,

i've desactived the IDRAC at the bios level and it works perfectly now!

Thanks a lot guys, you've saved me a lot of time (and i have already wasted a lot)

Xinity77

0 Kudos
MaxwellSmart86
Contributor
Contributor

I wanted to provide the solution that another colleage located on this. It solved the problem.

It had to do with the boot loader I was using. The UDA is working fine now.

Now on to other problems.

Tim Pierson (aka MaxwellSmart86), President

Data-Sentry, Inc.

Contributing author to the book-

"VMware vSphereTM and Virtual Infrastructure Security:

Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment"

ISBN-10: 0137158009 Pearson Publishing.

0 Kudos