VMware Cloud Community
urbansaint
Contributor
Contributor

Adding virtual CPU to NT 4.0 machine

Hi all experts,

I have an NT4 sp6a machine running a SAP R/3 application with 4 cpu's. I did a P2V and able to boot up the images after all the crap ( blue-screen, laggy, unable to ping) kind of stuff.

But, now i'm facing a problem where i cant consistently login into SAP via SAPLOGON. The SAP messenger and dispatcher is running and connected (green color) but i cannot get a stable logon into it.

Sometimes can login sometimes cannot. Or After i can login, then logout then failed to login again. After some diagnosis job, we found out it is because of the VM that i am running is a Uni-processor.

Anyone knows how i can add extra cpu's into this virtual machines where the OS able to detect it.?

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

There are two important questions - first does the HAL in the VM support multi processors? If it does then you should just be able to add additional processors. If it does not than you will need to replace the HAL with the multi processor version before the O/S will recognize the additional processors -

Also another thing to make sure is that th ESX host you are running on the VM has at least 8 cores if you plan to run with 4 virtual cpus -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
urbansaint
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Weinstein5

First of all, thanks for your advice. I check on the hal.dll and also changed it with halmacpi.dll but apparently,the vm unable to boot. But, during the tweaking, we saw a hal.dll.BAK and ntoskernel.dll.BAK file were there. The size is larger than the default size. So we revert back both and the vm detected multiprocessor. We found out, during P2V, VMconverter seems to backup those files and swap it with a default files. Not sure why but the issue is solved.

Thanks and regards.

0 Kudos