VMware Cloud Community
Mark_Bayliss
Contributor
Contributor

Converter to RDM

Hey Everyone,

We have a physical Windows 2003 R2 server running SQL 2005. However, the server has been configured with two drives C: and D drive. I am happy to convert the C: drive to a VMDK using converter which is no problem but I wish to convert/migrate the applications/data from 😧 to a RDM (raw lun). What is the best way to do this?

We have the latest version of ESX and converter running.

I am happy to post more information if this is not sufficient.

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

Unfortunately, there is no option in VMWare Converter to clone a disk into a RDM. However, you may create it into a normal VMFS vmdk and convert the the disk into a RDM afterwards, using vmkfstools:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/506045#506045

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Mark_Bayliss
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Gerrit,

We use Altiris Deployment solution and was thinking that we might be able to use Altiris RDP to clone the 😧 drive and then restore the image to the RDM. Would this work?

Regards,

Mark

0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

I dont know how Altiris RDP works, would that be a restore directly to the SAN of from within the VM. Another solution may be the manual way by not converting the 😧 Drive / converting it to a VMFS, adding a RDM manually and copying the files to the new RDM from within the VM. Afterwards remove the old VMDK, adjust the drive letters and start the SQL Server (I assume that the 😧 drive is used to store the SQL Databases?!).

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
Phil_Helmling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If your SQL server has its 😧 drive on the SAN already then its easy:

• just convert the machine to a VM using coldclone boot disk and only take the C: drive

• present the 😧 drive LUN to the ESX server(s)

• add a "System Disk" to the newly created / converted VM and select the LUN (this creates an RDM)

if your SQL server isn't using a SAN, then some extra steps are required:

• present a LUN to the existing server

• shutdown all SQL services

• align the disk using diskpart

• format the disk for SQL (8k?) and assign E: as the drive letter

• copy all the data from 😧 to E:

• change the drive letter for 😧 (local disk) to F:

• change the drive letter for E: (SAN) to 😧

• convert the machine to a VM using coldclone boot disk and only take the C: drive

• present the 😧 drive LUN to the ESX server(s)

• add a "System Disk" to the newly created / converted VM and select the LUN (this creates an RDM)

easy Smiley Wink

Mark_Bayliss
Contributor
Contributor

Hey All,

Thanks for your help its been helpful in many ways.

I decided to cold clone the C: drive (OS), attached a LUN then restore the data from tape to the LUN over the network. It was easier than I thought and went well.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos