VMware Cloud Community
RaniBaki
Contributor
Contributor

Error joining domain after cloning using sysprep

After cloning a Windows XP VM using sysprep with a template, I get an error when the joining the domain (something about not being able to find the domain). I can however join the domain manually afterwards. I read another post that it could be NAV that could be causing this. I uninstalled NAV and all software and still had the issue. The only way it would work is that if the VM I'm cloning from is in a workgroup. This is not ideal because we distribute patches via group policy and if the VM is not in the domain, it will not get the latest updates. Anyone have any ideas why the process is failing?

Thanks,

Rani Baki

0 Kudos
8 Replies
letoatrads
Expert
Expert

This is a known problem deploying from a template and using DHCP. You'll either need to use a static IP or define a static reservation for your VM on the DHCP server.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

We have run into this as well. We simply deploy the virtual machine with DHCP and into a workgroup. We then join the machines to the domain once it is deployed. Pretty simple workaround until it gets fixed.

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

in your customization are you using the NETBIOS name of your domain name or the FQDN? i have the same issue when using NETBIOS, but when I changed it to use the FQDN the issue went away.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here. Netbios = bad, DNS = good.

0 Kudos
RaniBaki
Contributor
Contributor

I changed it to the fqdn and it still did not work. Any other ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
doubleH
Expert
Expert

i would imagine that this would happen on a physical machine as well?

what account are you using to add a pc to the domain? is it a regular user or domain admin? if it is a regular user there is a gpo setting 'add workstations to domain' that you need to modify.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
RaniBaki
Contributor
Contributor

It is a domain admin, but you pointed into a direction I didn't think of before. I included the domain name before the user account. For example: domain\user. And it worked. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

0 Kudos
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have include my NT domain with my admin account on the page when you type in your username and password to join the domain "i.e. domain\adminusername"" I also use the DNS equivalnet name for the domain it will need to join versus the old netbios way "ie. global.ntdomain.com" And it still didn't work. I set autologn to 2, it run sysprep and autologon, but no join!

dwc

0 Kudos