VMware Cloud Community
vtechie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to open disk scsi 0:0 Bad wwnn format!

The VM was running properly.Shutdown the VM and removed the additional virtual hard disks associated to the vm and when powered on , this error message displayed

"Failed to open disk scsi0:0 Bad wwnn format!

Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0 ....

Failed to configure scsi0.

Try to change the scsi interface to 1 and stil same issue.

screenshot of this error attached.

any assistance appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kastlr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

as already mentioned by kjb007, NPIV was used.

To fix the problem, you should remove the following entires from the TestWin2k3SP1.vmx.

wwn.node = ""

wwn.port = ""

wwn.type = ""

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using a SAN Lun directly attached to your VM? Meaning, is NPIV enabled for this VM, and is that where you are getting your disk from? It does not appear so from the disk path, so you may want to make sure NPIV is not enabled.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
vtechie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for your time.

NPIV was not enabled. There were some vmdk disks associated but after i removed them , i was not able to power on the system.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try to poweron the vm. After it fails, post your vmware.log. It is located in the same folder as your vm files. Maybe there's something in there that could help.

-KjB

0 Kudos
vtechie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i removed all previous vmdk disks and planned to reinstall OS on fresh vmdks disk, hence deleted all vdmk information and created a new vmdk for this VM.

When i powered on the system , this error re-occured instead of trying to boot on empty disk.

the vmware log is attached.

Thanks

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The error is coming from NPIV. Your disk scsi0:0 is listed as having a WWNN. Can you post your .vmx config file?

Also, I see the name for the same disk on for different SCSI targets, which is a bit strange, in the log. The .vmx config file should help clear things up a bit.

-KjB

vtechie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i ve attached the vmx file

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

as already mentioned by kjb007, NPIV was used.

To fix the problem, you should remove the following entires from the TestWin2k3SP1.vmx.

wwn.node = ""

wwn.port = ""

wwn.type = ""

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos
vtechie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a ton kjb and Ghost for the inputs.Your efforts are very much appreciated.

After i deleted those three entries, i dont get the error and VM boots properly.

I realized that i may had NPIV disks associated but after removing them , will NPIV WWN gets removed.

0 Kudos