VMware Cloud Community
Kumz
Contributor
Contributor

Time for VM Cloning - Does it include OS CLone?

Hi,

I am trying to clone Applications running on VM with a Guest Windows 2003 server. I started a full clone from a VMStation and its almost an hour and the state seems to be same. How long does typically a cloning of VM from a portable HD to another Portable HD takes ? my size in 200 GB.

Also while cloning in VM the guess OS also is cloned automatically and ports etc autamatically assigned ?

Thanks,

Mahesh

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The time needed for cloning from a portable to another portable disk depends on how they are connected. USB, eSATA, ... If you for example connect both disks to the same USB bus you should not expect a high performance and cloning 200 GB can take several hours.

"Also while cloning in VM the guess OS also is cloned automatically and ports etc automatically assigned ?"

I don't understand what you mean by "... ports etc automatically assigned". Can you please clarify what you mean by this.

André

Kumz
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure - I meant that the App is installed on Windows 2003 Server. Its on a folder in USB HD1. The app is on another folder in HD1. The app automatically detects stuff and runs. The same App if installed on a  different system will not run as it somehow detects a few things. So am not sure as to if the backup will work.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

A clone is a copy of the VM as it is now.
The clone-function does not know anything about Windows 2003 or your app.

If the original worked - the clone should work the same

0 Kudos