VMware Cloud Community
chukarma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM guest status is neither red/yellow/green

Hello,

We are running ESX 3.0.2 with VC 2.0.2. Some of our guest status is showing as blank (white) instead of red, yellow or green. Does anyone know what could be causing this and what the fix is? Attach is what the status is looking like right now.

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

see this thread

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-1291

For my enviornment, restarting the vpxa agent fixed it. I was able to test one of my host servers. After restarting the agent I waited about 1 minute and the status of all the VM's came back for that host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Milton21
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Install VMtools

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Install VMtools

this is not a VMware Tools issue. I just looked at my enviornment and in one cluster the status for all my vms does not show up, yet the VMware Tools Status shows tools ok. Another cluster only about a 1/3 of them show a status.

I'll see if I can find anything.

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

see this thread

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-1291

For my enviornment, restarting the vpxa agent fixed it. I was able to test one of my host servers. After restarting the agent I waited about 1 minute and the status of all the VM's came back for that host.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Stop Virtual Service / Then start Virtual Service.

I get these weekly, and sometimes I get VM's that are in red/yellow state and don't reset. So restarting the VC service is the fix.

chukarma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, I guess the VC 2.0.2 U3 will fix this problem:

VMware VirtualCenter 2.0.2 Update 3 Release Notes

Check back frequently for additions and updates to these release notes.

VMware VirtualCenter 2.0.2 Update 3| 15 FEB 2008 | Build 75762

Last Document Update: 15 FEB 2008

What's in the Release Notes

VirtualCenter 2.0.2 Update 3 release includes all the fixes from the VirtualCenter 2.0.2 Update 2 release and also includes fixes for certain virtual machine management and licensing issues.

This maintenance release includes changes to VirtualCenter Management Server and VI Client software. If you upgrade a VirtualCenter Server host using this maintenance release, you must also upgrade all VI Client hosts. You can upgrade VI Client by downloading the software from an upgraded VirtualCenter Server host, or by selecting VI Client from the VirtualCenter installation startup page.

These release notes cover the following topics:

Resolved Issues

Known Issues

Before Installing VirtualCenter 2.0.2 Update 3

Installing VirtualCenter 2.0.2 Update 3

Installing Language Packs on the ESX Server Host

Resolved Issues

VirtualCenter 2.0.2 Update 3 resolves issues in the following areas:

Virtual Machine Management Issues

Licensing Issues

Virtual Machine Management Issues

Virtual Machine Alarms Not Triggered

This release fixes an issue where VirtualCenter alarms are not triggered when the alarm conditions are met.

Host and Virtual Machine Alarms Stop Updating Over Time

This release fixes an issue where some alarms that are configured for a virtual machine can fail to update. This issue is usually encountered after the virtual machine has changed power state.

Virtual Machines Do Not Show Correct Status

This release fixes an issue where the status indicators of some virtual machines do not accurately reflect the virtual machine's status. This issue usually occurs after a restart of the VirtualCenter Server.

0 Kudos