VMware Cloud Community
bangboss
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare tools stop running

Hello,

I have a bit a a strange behavior on 4 of my VMs since I have upgraded my ESX servers with the latest patches (3.5.0, 143128). Almost every morning VC says, only and always for the same 4 VM, that the tools are not running. If I run the tools installation they start working, if I log onto the system they start working. I tried installaing the tools on 2 of them and still same thing.

I am running 30 VMs on 3 servers all the other VMs are fine.

If anyone has an idea that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

By any chance are you running VCB to backup your Vm's?

0 Kudos
bangboss
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. That would explain why I lose them every day, but VCB is used on all the systems on the 2 hosts. Anything I should be looking for in particular?

0 Kudos
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi,

This is a minor GUI display issue which has surfaced after the latest patch. This is just a display issue however these are the workarounds to overcome this.

1. Restart of mgmt-VMware service immediately once the backup job is

done this brings the tools status to OK. One can write cron job to do it

periodically.

2. Log in and Log

out or simply log out (if already logged in) from the VM showing tools

status as not running makes the status to OK

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
bangboss
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info Samir.

I guess I will wait for VMWare to fix this as we are using VFoglight from VizionCore and it reports errors every morning because 4 VMs have this issue.

0 Kudos
EPL
Contributor
Contributor

Depends on what you consider minor.... In the case of some backup utilities (Netbackup), your vmware backups will fail, which I consider not so minor.

I called into VMWare and it is a known issue, it is currently being worked on, but no ETA on a patch yet. They gave me an internal Bug ID of 374389

0 Kudos
bangboss
Contributor
Contributor

Indeed!

I just checked the Backup Exec logs and it is full of:

V-79-57344-38721 - Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images:

I usually get 1 or 2 and my work around was to backup with an agent, but almost all of them are giving me the error, strange thing is I still seem to have all my data backedup. If you come accros a solution let me know.

0 Kudos
ploleary
Contributor
Contributor

I concur, I have the same issue - the mgmt-vmware fix works to reset the VM and backups are then able to work again.

Will be awaiting a fix asap for this issue.

0 Kudos