VMware Cloud Community
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

deploy VM using template are not auto joining the domain

Has anyone run into an issue when deploying new VM guest (i.e. XP) from ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5, it will autologon, run sysprep, but will NOT join to the domain? We have double check the password in our customization wizard and set autologon to both 1 and 2. In any case, we got most of the bug work out, it will sysprep, autologon, etc. But no matter what, it will not join to the domain! Am I missing something?

dwc

0 Kudos
2 Replies
acosgrove
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if this has been fixed with VC 2.5 or not - but according to an article I read concerning ESX 3.0.x and the way the cloning process happened: the guest would not have an IP address when it came time to join the domain so joining would fail with domain controller can not be found.

Here is how I understand how the cloning process went according to this article (and I'll post that link when and if I can find it):

1. VC clones the guest

2. VC vcbmounts the cloned image and attaches to the registry.

3. The cloned image registry is fooled into thinking sysprep has been executed on it (by editing corresponding keys). Sysprep files are copied to the cloned image to be executed at next reboot.

4. At power on the clone runs through sysprep but is not assigned an IP until AFTER sysprep finishes therefore unable to join a domain. After next reboot any other RunOnce keys are executed.

Again I don't know if that issue was addressed in VC 2.5 but I can definitely confirm it. The ways I know around this is to create a customization setting which will prompt for network settings and then you join by hand. Or you can copy NETDOM.EXE from the resource kit onto your template and specify a RunOnce to do something like: netdom join %computername% /domain:(your_domain) /userd:(domain admin acct) /pass:(...) /reboot:10

Anthony

0 Kudos
tgradig
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are the virtual machines able to get a DHCP addresses? We have this problem in our DMZ. No matter what we do, we can't join the domain until the server is assigned an IP address. I tried automatically assigning the IP address in the customization wizard, but I don't have much luck with it.

0 Kudos