VMware Cloud Community
dpasion
Contributor
Contributor

ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration

Hello, I'm completely new to VMware. I just created a new VM and i'm trying to get it connected to the internet. It currently says "Ethernet0 doesn't have a valid IP Configuration".

Tried to going into the command prompt to did:

• netsh winsock reset
  • netsh int IP reset

Disabled the ethernet and re-enabled it, still not connecting

- says that i have limited connection.

Am i missing anything within the settings of the VM?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Do you have a DHCP or fixed IP?

To surf the internet you need to set the router's IP address as the gateway.

If you have a dhcp, try setting the network parameters manually (Tcp / Ip, subnet mask, gateway and dns)

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
dory_fish
Contributor
Contributor

Spent a couple of hours on this problem today, and I'd like to share one possible solution.

In case your VM uses Bridged network connection (Network Adapter: Bridged (Automatic)) -- chances are that is uses wrong internet adapter of your host system.

First, shut down your VM. Then, in VMware Workstation window, open Edit -> Virtual Network Editor... menu.

Click on "Change Settings" (requires admin rights).

Bridged connection type should appear in the list (like VMnet0: Bridged -- and it's not even displayed before you click on "Change Settings").

Select it, then find "Bridged to" drop-down list below, click on it and select the proper physical internet adapter of your host system in the list.

Click Apply, then OK, then you may start your VM again.

That solved the problem for me.

Of course, this will work only if you have a problem with bridged connection, but in any case I encourage you to know about the Virtual Network Editor window, which is not in any way advertised by VMware Workstation during setting up your VM.

I find it basically ridiculous that "automatic" selection of the adapter might just take the alphabetically first adapter without any internet access, and doesn't even try to prompt me to choose it if have multiple adapters. And the option to change the adapter is so unintuitive to access. I was very disappointed with VMware when I encountered this issue.

Sam_VM1
Contributor
Contributor

Here's what worked for me (using Bridged connection with same host MAC address):

1. Shutdown the VM if on.

2. Go to the settings of the VM (Ctrl + D on Windows machines).

3. Remove any Network Adapters listed & close VMware.

5. Find the folder for the VM and access the VMX (Virtual Machine Configuration) file.

6. Remove any lines containing "ethernet" (Can be usually found at the near end or end of the file). Then save the file.

7. Open VMware and go to the settings.

8. Add Network Adapter (Add... > Network Adapter > Finish).

9. Go to the Advanced settings for the Network Adapter, and use the MAC on your host computer in the corresponding field.

10. Click OK and start the VM.

Step 9 can be optional if you do not want to use the same MAC address as the host.

mwarrington
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me!

snovvman
Contributor
Contributor

This is an old post but I registered to say thanks @dory_fish.  I just switched from VirtualBox to VMW.  It's been many years since I used VMW.  Your post helped get me connected!

dory_fish
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, it's so nice to get a kudo after several years, I guess I'm just one of these random guys from the Internet that solve our problems 😅

By the way, I still use a licensed version of VMware Workstation, keeping upgrading it every year. Still the best tool for me to do my work, pet projects, and play retro PC games 😁

snovvman
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers @dory_fish, you earned the "one of these random guys from the internet that solve out problems" badge lol.

I used VMW some time ago, then switched to VirtualBox.  Jumping back into VMW, I see that both platforms have their pros and cons.  I switched to VMW with hopes for better performance and reliability.  Well see...