VMware Cloud Community
michelb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

general system error : internal error

Due to the imminent failur eof my laptops drive I used vmware converter to image the laptop as a VM. When I go to install the vm tools I get an error message "A general sytem error occurred:Internal error". Xp detects the new hardware - amd pcint NIC, VGA adapter, Intel IDE controller etc but cannot (obviously) find the drivers.

Any ideas why vmtools won't install?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your discussion has been moved to the VI: Virtual Machine and Guest OS forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

michelb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Lightbulb,

That helped by causing the error message to disappear but the tools still won't install. Changed the OS to XP pro (although it's actually XP home), left the tools install running overnight but no joy.

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry not really familiar with the virtualizing of XP systems (Let alone the dreaded "Home" addition).

What virtualization platform are you running the VM on i.e. ESX or ESXi ?

If there are updates for your host they may contain updated Vmware tool versions, if this is a non-business critical system you might want to bring it up to the latest revision and see if that updates the tools package.

Just a thought.

0 Kudos
michelb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's the latest release of ESXi. I am trying a convert with VM tools install as part of the conversion although I haven't had much time to play with it.

Will advise.

0 Kudos