VMware Cloud Community
tmcd35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCP Question

I'm thinking of paying out to attend a VCP course in London in July. My question is, as the course is a prerequisite for the exam, how long after doing the course can I wait before taking the exam?

I ask because the school I work for are currently looking into moving to VI3 over the summer break. So my ideal timeline would be - Deside to go VI3 in June, course in July, VI3 upgrade in August, Use redundant server at home to learn/play more in September and sit the exam in October.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert

1. You can actually take the exam without doing the course but there'd be little point because you won't get certified.

2. You can take the exam the say after the course ends, if you want.

Chris

tmcd35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you Chris for a prompt answer. Unfortunately I think you missed the point of the question. I'm particularly interested in waiting a number of months between taking the course and taking the exam. Is there a point were 'credit' acquired for attending the course no longer counts towards certification? How long after taking the course do I have before I'd have to retake the course in order to be certified after completing the exam?

Thank you

Terry.

0 Kudos
Chris_S_UK
Expert
Expert

OK, I have not seen a mention of any specific time limit so I would imagine you can wait as long as you want or until the product for which you took a course no longer has the exam available (as is the case if you had done the 2.x course and wanted to take the 3.x exam now).

Chris

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Terry,

While you can[/i] wait months after sitting the course to take the exam, but I would recommend that you not do so. It is my belief that the best way to obtain your certification is to get some hands-on experience, sit the course, and then take the exam - preferably within a week, two weeks max, of completing the class.

Just my $0.02,

KLC

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
tmcd35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

While I'd normally agree, I have some work imposed time constraints here. If we go for a VI solution then I want to take the course before we start installing. This way I'd be prepared for what we are doing. The only time I have in my calendar to take the course is around 24th July time. Returning from the course puts me right into the 6-week summer break when we are planning a major server upgrade and installing VI3 life. So the idea is to take the exam after I've got the extra hands on experience of installing and managing a life VI3 installation and had possibly a week or two to re-read notes and play with a test rig to prepare for the exam.

All this would mean taking the course in July and the exam September/October time. I really just wanted to know if this was possible?

Cheers

Terry.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Absolutely possible. I'd encourage you to take good notes during the class and review both your notes and the course material the week before the exam. Best of luck with your new project (welcome to the wonderful world of virtualization!) and on your exam!

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
sideshowtob
Contributor
Contributor

So as part of the registration process for the exam do you have to prove somehow that you have taken an authorised course?

Also does the course have to be lead by a certified VMware instructor, as I have heard rumbling from our training supplier about a “grey course” that has exactly the same content but is not lead by a VMware certified instructor. Needless to say its being offered at a much reduced rate!

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert

Toby, when I went to register with Vue to take the exam they already knew which VMware course I had taken, and therefore what VMware exams I could take.

0 Kudos
sideshowtob
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that. That takes care of the first part of my question. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

As well as the second part - if it's not a VMware authorized course, how would VUE know about it?

0 Kudos
sideshowtob
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah that’s what I am not sure on. All I know is that it’s carried out in the same place as the authorised course, covers the same content but is not conducted by an authorised instructor. That’s the key difference.

Thinking about it I answered my own question. Many thanks!

0 Kudos