VMware Workspace ONE Community
mcampbell723
Contributor
Contributor

Adding bookmarks to Safari without restricting internet access

We are currently using Content Filter to add Bookmarks to Safari, but we want to open up full access to the internet. Of course adding URLs in Content Filter Whitelist only allows those URLs. Is there a workaround for this? Thanks in advance.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

I come across this a lot and what I do instead is publish web clips for the websites which then keep Safari open to other websites. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
mcampbell723
Contributor
Contributor

We usually use the Webclips solution. The problem in this instance is that all the links in question point to the same root URL that requires AD authentication. When Webclips are used, it opens a new tab in Safari thus prompting for login with every link. Our end goal is to eliminate all the login prompts.

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

In that case, SSO setup may help if it pertains to your environment.

0 Kudos
mcampbell723
Contributor
Contributor

For a variety of red tape corporate nonsense reasons, SSO isn't an option for us right now.

0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

It's never the technical challenge, is it? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mcampbell723
Contributor
Contributor

LOL you know it. I should mark that as the correct answer.:smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
rterakedis
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I haven’t found a good way to do this via MDM as of yet.   Safari stores the bookmarks in a non-standard location rather than reading/writing them into preferences which can be managed via Custom Settings.  One other option to consider is some type of bookmarks “homepage” which you could set as the default homepage for Safari.  I used this Custom Settings payload a back in High Sierra or Mojave I think... I haven’t tested with Catalina but it might point you in a direction that could help.   

<dict>

<key>PayloadContent</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.Safari</key>

<dict>

<key>Forced</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>mcx_preference_settings</key>

<dict>

<key>HomePage</key>

<string>http://www.vmware.com/</string>

<key>NewTabBehavior</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>NewWindowBehavior</key>

<integer>0</integer>

</dict>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>PayloadEnabled</key>

<true/>

<key>PayloadIdentifier</key>

<string>MCXToProfile.00cf33c8-0442-449b-85fb-7c6db6c2f38e.alacarte.customsettings.1e0d5e16-e2bd-46e5-9179-efe10edc6d37</string>

<key>PayloadType</key>

<string>com.apple.ManagedClient.preferences</string>

<key>PayloadUUID</key>

<string>1e0d5e16-e2bd-46e5-9179-efe10edc6d37</string>

<key>PayloadVersion</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

You can find some of the original Custom Settings here:   euc-samples/Safari-ControlPrivateBrowsing.md at master · vmware-samples/euc-samples · GitHub

0 Kudos