VMware Workspace ONE Community
JordonC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Existing Active Sync Profile on IOS Devices

We are currently running Work Space One 9.5 and are upgrading soon to the latest. 
The question I have is in our organization we have always wanted to enforce an Active Sync Profile on existing profiles but were concerned what this would do to existing users in the field if they already configured Active Sync Manually on their IOS Device.  All of our new Orgainization Groups and Profiles have Active Sync Enabled.  Question is....if we Assign existing IOS devices to our Active Sync policy will it over write their Exchange Active Sync setting in the Native mail client or will the policy be ignored by the device.  Testing it looks like the policy is comes up as removed when I try to push it to a device with Native Mail active sync already setup. 
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Hi. If the account already exists and you try to apply a profile with same account, the profile will fail to install and nothing will happen. So you wouldn’t see any impact on the user. This happens to me frequently as people manually configure an email Profile then enroll.
0 Kudos
JordonC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Luke.  In the past when we tried this we with a select group we would have multiple user call in to our desktop support with reports of weird email behavior on their device.  Emails not coming in.  Multiple notifications.  Mails stuck in the outbox.  Then it was discovered there was 2 active sync accounts pointing to the same account.  One was created manually and one was pushed from the email Profile.  Once they deleted the manual active sync account all was golden.  That was a year ago and maybe AirWatch has changed the behavior.  So far...we have tried again on a test group and yep.....the profile failed to push to several of them.  But then we had 1 user that restored from backup after receiving a new phone and somehow received both the email profile and their old backed up active sync account.  We are still troubleshooting how that happened.  Last question Luke.  Do you happen to know what the profile looks for to fail out.  Same username, same email address, etc. 
0 Kudos