VMware Workspace ONE Community
markdp
Contributor
Contributor

Pushing out microsoft apps with airwatch without the need for apple ID

We have company iphones that have been airwatched but need to push a microsoft app out to them. It prompts the user for an apple id. there are no apple ids set up on the iphones and we ideally dont want the users to create their own. Is there a way round this without creating generic apple ids
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
TonyArnoldTonyA
Contributor
Contributor

Have you set up VPP? You can create a smart group and assign the app to the device instead of the user.

0 Kudos
markdp
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i have done that. It pushes out but then asks for an apple ID. Have other non microsoft apps that puch out fine. This is a free app also

0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

They also should be supervised (DEP enrolled) to work best with device based licensing. 

0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Also make sure you have marked the App for device based distribution in the VPP app settings.
0 Kudos
Stansfield
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can use device based vpp with non supervised devices they just get prompted to install (and just have to press install and in later iOS versions prompted to update) but there is no need for an Apple ID
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

True, Stephen, I've updated my comment to reflect. Probably just need to click the button to switch the app to Device based licensing.
0 Kudos
PeterThomasPete
Contributor
Contributor

I agree double check that those apps are set for device based distribution in WS1 console. I know I have missed that a few times when adding new apps.

I am also wondering if it is asking for an Apple ID once installed to restore purchases for 365 license because word, PPT, excel will not work without a 365 account.
0 Kudos
markdp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sorry for the delay in replying. Ive tried the above suggestions. Its not for 365. The app in question is the microsoft authenticator. Its set for device distribution in VPP. Looks like will have to do individual apple accounts
0 Kudos
NickFPHCARE
Contributor
Contributor

I too am having issues with this. How do you mark an app for device based distribution in the VPP app settings?
0 Kudos
chengtmskcc
Expert
Expert

Click on the app and at the very top you should see the option to convert it to device based assignment if it's not converted already.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure to download the app into purchased and not public. After that, you create an assignment and push the app to different user's devices.

0 Kudos