VMware Workspace ONE Community
LatinSuD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Shut down vApp erroneously Powers it off and viceversa

This is Workspace 1.5 vApp running on vSphere 5.1.

When I issue a "Shut Down" of the vApp it powers off abruptly.

When I try to "Power off" the vApp it shuts down gracefully instead.

Both behaviours are swapped!

I'm not sure whether this is vSphere or Workspace error.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Interesting!

Would you be able to:

1) provide info on the client? Windows or Web?

2)  If the latter, what browser?

3) From where you selected the power option? In the main summary page, Actions-> Power down, or right click-> ... etc etc?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

By the way, I had word from a colleague that we saw this before:

The power off action is configurable for the vApp, and we set it to do a graceful shutdown.

See the "Start Order" tab of the vApp properties.

But the "shutdown" menu item for a vApp always does a hard power off, and prompts the user to be sure

they have shut down their OS first.  It's meant by design.

0 Kudos
learylike
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually something to note...You should use the shutdown and it will gracefully shut the VM's down PROVIDED you modify the settings in the "Start Order" under the shutdown action section and change it to "guest shutdown".  Now what I didnt realize is that you need to make this setting for every single VM within the vApp ( vs the startup process where it is a global setting for the entire vApp).  This is what confused me but after setting all the VM's shutdown operation process to "Guest Shutdown" they did a more graceful shutdown process.  Hope that helps

0 Kudos
learylike
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just an FYI the "Power Off" option is not configurable and is the one that warns about shutting down your guest operating systems.  The Shutdown option is the one that is configurable with the optional setting for "Guest Shutdown" so may want to let your colleague know this is the behavior at least on 5.5 ( not sure about 5.1)

0 Kudos