VMware Workspace ONE Community
ChrisMillerChri
Contributor
Contributor

Staging User

In my environment, there is a business need to enroll devices on behalf of another user.  It looks like creating a dedicated user account with Advanced staging enabled will accomplish this. 

I was hoping I could get some feedback from anyone with experience doing this.  Are there any issues using this method? 
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
VegardAarseth
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For Android or iOS?

We are using it on both platforms without issue. The staging user is just a basic staging user without any profiles assigned. When the real user logs in, apps and profiles are installed automatically.
0 Kudos
BethC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have been using a staging account for a number of years. All you need is a windows service account and once it is in the console, mark it as your staging account and away you go. We use it with Knox (KME), which is really handy for our warehouse and doesn't breach security by forcing the user to provide password to get their device logged in. Also one thing I want to caution you on though... if you currently have terms and conditions that the user must accept, using a staging account removes that from the process. If you have a legal department that wants users to accept the terms prior to use, then your company will have to find an alternative route to getting that done.
0 Kudos
BenArons
Contributor
Contributor

Works fine for us - the only issue has been that it doesn't work with DEP enrollment, unfortunately. Hard stop there!
0 Kudos
ChrisMillerChri
Contributor
Contributor

Has staging ever worked with DEP enrollment?  I ask because the options are there is the Default Enrollment Profile.
0 Kudos
LukeDC
Expert
Expert

Yes, staging works with DEP. Use VPP to install the hub. The user then opens the hub to finish enrollment.
0 Kudos
BenArons
Contributor
Contributor

I just mean you can't ' enroll on behalf of'  with DEP. Sure, staging works, but you still need the end-user to sign in to finish things up.
0 Kudos
Fexception
Contributor
Contributor

yeah, id prefer ' enroll on behalf of'  worked with DEP
0 Kudos