VMware Cloud Community
unnikrk_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Fault Management of Xen Server

Hi,

I am very new to HyperHQ.

We have installed HyperHQ(Open source one) in Ubuntu 9.10 machine and configured it for Xen server.It is showing the performance graph of both Host server and Guest Virtual machines.

The problem we are facing is,not getting any events to "Event Center" or "Alert Center". Do we need to manually configure the definition?
Can HyperHQ agent can receive the SNMP trap from Citirx version of Xen server?

Any help/reply will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Unni
0 Kudos
5 Replies
mcmesser
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

"Events Center" would be populated by any log tracking you have enabled (sounds like you might have none configured) and "Alert Center" would be populated by firing Alerts, which also sounds like you haven't yet configured.

See this link for some getting started info: http://support.hyperic.com/display/DOC/Alerting+Guide
0 Kudos
unnikrk_hyperic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Marty,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I tried to enable the "Monitoring" of log files after configuring Xen-server plugin.
But resource-->Xenserver-poc-->Inventory, the "Monitoring" part is shown like,"this resource doesn't have any monitoring configuration properties".

But we need that the hyperHQ read the log file of Citrix Xenserver and display it in event list.
Is it possible in this case?

Or else any other way to read the log file of Citrix xen server?

Thanks

Best Regards,
Unnikrishnan k
0 Kudos
mcmesser
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It appears our current plugin does not support Log Tracking for any of the Xen-related resources.

http://support.hyperic.com/display/hypcomm/Citrix+XenServer
0 Kudos
bclark_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might try running the Hyperic Agent for Linux directly on the XenServer Host itself. If that could work, then you could have the Agent read the Linux logs generated by XenServer. Not sure if any of this would work, but it might be worth a try in a non-production environment.

Brian
0 Kudos
mcmesser
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Good plan I think.
0 Kudos