VMware Cloud Community
furyshots
Contributor
Contributor

How to configure a sms alert with a local gsm-modem?

Hi,

How to configure a sms alert with a local gsm-modem attached to the Hyperic HQ server?
I am running the latest version of Hyperic HQ. I set some alerts & I added a phone number to the alert user that I made. What files do I need to configure to get this sms service working? I couldn't found anything useful on the support pages.
I hope someone can give me a tutorial on how to do this.

Regards,
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The SMS notification feature uses email addresses to send shorten versions of the notifications that are sent to regular email addresses.

To use the device, you'd need to use a script action (which is only available in the EE version) or use some type of 3rd party/custom gateway system and have the SMS address point to it.
0 Kudos
jzola_hyperic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

this is not adware, example like this:
http://www.bulksms.com/int/w/solutions_email_to_sms.htm

You need to put password into subject. you can easy to do this, edit the email alert template in HQ.

OR
you can build own lowend sms gateway: http://www.gnokii.org/
and create an email2sms script(example postfix or other MTA can do this)

Message was edited by: jzola
leonasit
Contributor
Contributor

How to configure a sms alert with a local gsm-modem?
To configure an SMS  alert with a local GSM modem, you can follow these general steps:

Connect the modem to your computer: The modem can be connected to a USB port on your computer or through a serial port if it has one.

Install the necessary drivers for the modem: You may need to install drivers for the modem to work properly with your computer. Check the manufacturer's website for more information.

Send SMS using AT commands: You can use AT commands to send SMS through the modem. Some common AT commands for sending SMS are:

AT+CMGF=1 (sets the SMS mode to text)
AT+CMGS="phone number" (sends an SMS to the specified phone number)
Automate the process: You can write a script or a program that automates the process of sending an SMS alert based on certain conditions or events. For example, if your computer's memory usage reaches a certain threshold, you can trigger the script to send an SMS alert.

0 Kudos