VMware Cloud Community
Linux_ETC
Contributor
Contributor

Postfix not coming up with Auto Discovery

I am noticing that on quite a few Linux systems (CentOS, Ubuntu, and SLES based) that we are monitoring that Postfix 2.x was not Auto Discovered originally with the addition of these systems. I can manually add Postfix, granted it is taking some time and doing it one by one, but it is a slight inconvenience.

Is this a known bug/issue at this time?

Thanks in advance.

LinuxETC
0 Kudos
9 Replies
kwayley
Contributor
Contributor

I just added a couple of servers to hyperic that are running Centos 5.2 and I'm having the EXACT same problem.

Haven't got round to trying to add them manually yet, you say that works fine, its annoying?
0 Kudos
kwayley
Contributor
Contributor

Found the answer to my own question.

"Configure Postfix 2.x for Monitoring

The HQ Agent must be running as root or a user with sufficient privileges to read the mail queues. "

http://support.hyperic.com/display/hypcomm/Postfix+2.x+server

Works perfectly now 🙂
0 Kudos
Linux_ETC
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, I see. We run it as the "hyperic" user and group. So that would explain it. However, we still just add things manually which is a little annoying.

Thanks Kwayley.

LinuxETC
0 Kudos
fx1718
Contributor
Contributor

Are there any known work around to getting postfix monitored without running as root?? At least monitoring the process and logs?

Thanks
0 Kudos
excowboy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

you could setup a process monitor service and use the String "State.Name.eq=master" for the process.query to monitor the Postfix process. After that you can add the Postfix logfiles for monitroing in the Configuration Properties of the Service. Depending on the security and file permissions it might work.

Cheers,
Mirko
0 Kudos
fx1718
Contributor
Contributor

Currently I went through and changed all our hyperic agents to run as hyperic instead of root because I was told there was documentation not to run as root. Now we have problems monitoring things such as postfix. Do you agree with not running as root or will that make it easier for me to monitor the system properly.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Linux_ETC
Contributor
Contributor

> Currently I went through and changed all our hyperic
> agents to run as hyperic instead of root because I
> was told there was documentation not to run as root.
> Now we have problems monitoring things such as
> postfix. Do you agree with not running as root or
> will that make it easier for me to monitor the
> system properly.
>
> Thanks

What my original post was about is that Postfix was not being "auto detected" by Hyperic. We run Hyperic HQ (community edition) as "hyperic:hyperic" (user:group). You can simple manually add the Postfix service via the Inventory for that particular server as a solution. It will show up for us after the initially polling is done to get the information. I was hoping for a "simple solution" (i.e., be lazy 😉 ) and not having to do this manual additional for each server we monitor. But sometimes, one has to bite the bullet and just do it.

Personally, I would go on the philosophy of security and not run Hyperic as a "root:root" (or any combination there of).

HTH.

Linux ETC
0 Kudos
kennedyusa058
Contributor
Contributor

It's really great. I like it very much

pret auto
0 Kudos
kennedyusa058
Contributor
Contributor