VMware Cloud Community
rhchodur
Contributor
Contributor

Active Directory Validation Issue

I sent this issue into VMWare support and still not getting a answer or fix, so I thought I would post it here also.

We have changed our domain administrator and local administrator passwords before with no issues to VirtualCenter, but recently we did it again and now it appears once a day when the AD Validation runs in VirtualCenter we get messages in the Windows Security logs that Administrator is denied access and errors in the xpxd logs that show administrator trying to logon in relation to the validation process.

VMware has had us try unchecking the enable validation, save, checking it, and save. Did not work.

Had us reinstall the SP2 patch for VirtualCenter, did not work.

Apparently this validation service needs to use the administrator password and cannot change the account it uses.

Anyone had this issue or know of a fix to clear this up? Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Did you try rebooting the server after you changed the passwords? I don't think VC would be using a domain admin account since you never enter credentials for it to use. I think it just uses it's domain membership and local admin account to access AD. Is your VC Service running as LocalSystem?

0 Kudos
rhchodur
Contributor
Contributor

Yes we did reboot, several times and did not make any difference.

Yes the service is using LocalSystem.

Worth the double checking, thanks.

0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried running the service specifically as a domain user? Kind of cludgy but might be worth a try just to see if it fixes it. Also are you caching logons on your server? The default in the Local Security Policy is to cache 10 logins, might be possible it is still using one of them. You can try setting this to 0 and rebooting.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Are you running VC in a VM? If so, perhaps the time on the VM is getting out of sync with the DCs.

0 Kudos
rhchodur
Contributor
Contributor

I am going to the try the cached logon option and see if it helps. If that does not, I am going to try and set the local admin password the same as the domain admin and see what happens. Our policy is not to have them the same and it has worked before not problem, even when changing passwords, till now.

BTW - we are currently running this (VirtualCenter) on a physical server.

0 Kudos
rhchodur
Contributor
Contributor

This turned out to be an issue with VCB, and an account it uses to access VC. Took some time to pin point this.

0 Kudos
vibes10
Contributor
Contributor

HI Guys......

Job Opening with a TOP Multinational Company for the below requirement.........Top 3 PC vendors of the World.

• Should have Hands-on Experience on VMware ESX server and Virtual Center.

• Should have Hands-on Experience on Linux/Unix based Operating Systems

• Should good conceptual understanding of Hypervisors (ESX architecture),
    networking and storage subsystems.

• Should be very good in computer architecture and should have inclination to learn
    hardware.

• Knowledge of System Management Tools would be a plus.

• Should be familiar with Product Development Life Cycle.

• Must have good analytical skills to trouble shoot technical issues. Should have
    solid written and verbal communication skills.

• Should be engineering graduate in E&C/CS/IS.

Experience:

• 3 to 6 years of work experience

you could send in your CV's to Vibeesh@rediffmail.com 9886074074

Message was edited by: vibes10

0 Kudos