VMware Cloud Community
alexaaaaaaaa
Contributor
Contributor

CPU compatibility for VMotion Intel XEON

Hello,

I have some IBM lames hs21XM with Xeon E5345, I want to buy new lames HS21XM for ESX server with Xeon E5450. I want to use VMotion. Are this processor compatible with my actual E5345?

I use ESX 3.02 and planned to upgrade to 3.5.

Thanks in advance

Regards.

Alexandre Brohon

0 Kudos
5 Replies
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

Upgrade to the ESX 3.5 update 2, create a cluster with EVC enable for Intel CPU, then you will able to VMOTION for both ESX

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos
alexaaaaaaaa
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean that this CPU with esx 3.01 are not compatible for VMotion? and will be compatible in 3.5 U2?

What is EVC?

I have already a cluster.

regards

Alexandre

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey,

The best way to check the CPU compatibility would be to ask the Vendor.

They should be able to check by serial number of your servers.

The other way would be to use CPU compatibilty tools, but that would mean that you've already bought the servers to test...

EVC is a piece of technology in 3.5U2 that allows additional CPU masking. Where we are able to mask e.g. Nx/xD in 3.0.2, ESX 3.5 has been engineered for further masking features.

Good Luck

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
alexaaaaaaaa
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

So according to you if upgrade to 3.5U2 I can activate EVC on my existing cluster and I will not have problem with my new server with a different CPU?

You think that if I ask IBM about VMotion compatibility between their servers they could answer me????

Thanks

Alexandre Brohon

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

EVC has the ability to mask additional CPU features / flags.

IBM would definitely know best which CPU's they sell are compatible.

You can also check this vmotion compatability matrix too...

http://vmetc.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/ibm-vmotion-comp-guide-070107.pdf

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos