VMware Cloud Community
_usr_local_dick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I manage my ESX4-u1 hosts using different VCenters?

As per previous post, I am putting together a new Vcenter VM with all 64 bit stuff to accomodate for Vcenter 4.1.

I still have my old Vcenter running.

Then I want to shut down the old Vcenter VM, and put my new Vcenter 4.1 live, including migrated databases.

If everything goes well, my two ESX4-U1 nodes will be managed by this new Vcenter.

However, if something gets screwed up, can I just halt the Vcenter 4.1, and then power up the old Vcenter?

Can the ESXs still be managed by the older Vcenter after being managed by a newer one?

Thansk

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

As per published compatibility matrix, ESX release 4.0, Update 1 and Update 2 are compatible with all releases of vCenter (4.0, U1, U2). This means ESX 4.0 U2 can be managed by vCenter 4.0.

If I get this right you are trying to upgrade vCenter server from 4.0 to 4.1 and the ESX host version is 4.0 Update 1

You may switch the ESX 4.0 Update 1 to vCenter 4.0 U1 and vCenter 4.1, whenever we add an ESX host to vCenter the vCenter agents are installed on the ESX host which are removed on removing the host and a different version would be added if you add the ESX host to a different VC.

In my opinion this shouldn't be an issue.

Hope this information helps Smiley Happy

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

As per published compatibility matrix, ESX release 4.0, Update 1 and Update 2 are compatible with all releases of vCenter (4.0, U1, U2). This means ESX 4.0 U2 can be managed by vCenter 4.0.

If I get this right you are trying to upgrade vCenter server from 4.0 to 4.1 and the ESX host version is 4.0 Update 1

You may switch the ESX 4.0 Update 1 to vCenter 4.0 U1 and vCenter 4.1, whenever we add an ESX host to vCenter the vCenter agents are installed on the ESX host which are removed on removing the host and a different version would be added if you add the ESX host to a different VC.

In my opinion this shouldn't be an issue.

Hope this information helps Smiley Happy

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards, Arun Pandey VCP 3,4,5 | VCAP-DCA | NCDA | HPUX-CSA | http://highoncloud.blogspot.in/ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree that they are shouldn't be any issues but just for clarification you are currently using SQL express and will be moving that over to the new box? So that means you will have a pristine 4.0 environment to fall back on if you have issues.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Interesting question. To be honest I'm not sure.

I think vCenter 4.1 will install a new host agent on the ESX hosts. In case they are incompatible with vCenter 4.0 you may need to reinstall the correct version on the hosts. See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003714 on how to do this.

André

0 Kudos
_usr_local_dick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The current Vcenter is a VM running Win2K3, SQL Server 2005 32-bit, and Vcenter 4.0.0.

The new Vcenter is a VM running Windows Server 2008R2, SQL Server 2008 Enterprise, and Vcenter 4.1.

So basically everything is going to be newer, and freshly installed, and only taking the SQL data from the old system. This is quite ambitious, and the reason that I would like to be able to switch back to my working old Vcenter Smiley Wink

But from what I've heard it should be possible. Thanks guys.

0 Kudos
_usr_local_dick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have my new VM with VCenter 4.1 ready.

Can I just halt the old Vcenter, or should I first remove my ESX hosts from the Datacenter there?

Otherwise they still think they're being managed by the old Vcenter?

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

According to best practice, remove the ESX hosts from the old VC, doing this would uninstall the old VPXA i.e. VC agents from the ESX host. When you add the ESX host to new VC new VPXA agents would be installed.

_usr_local_dick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I "Remove" a host from my old Vcneter, I get:

One or more hosts are not in maintenance mode. Place the host in maintenance mode, and then remove the host.

This is not what I want of course. I do see the option to "Disconnect" the host. Should I do that?

0 Kudos
f10
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, you have to Disconnect the esx host and then Remove the host from old VC.

_usr_local_dick
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just to let you know that this was the trick, first Disconnect, then Remove the hosts from the old Vcenter.

Then power down old Vcenter VM, bring up new Vcenter VM, allocate old IP address.

Then Connect ESX hosts again, then reconfigure for HA.

Everything is 'green' in my shiny new 64-bit Vcenter, and I just migrated a couple of VMs which went over OK.

0 Kudos