VMware Cloud Community
SuprSi
Contributor
Contributor

Can't figure this out!! :( vSphere 5 and missing client features

I have just installed the ESXi Hypervisor on a HP server that is connected to the network.  I have installed the vSphere client on my machine and connected to the HP server.  I have also created a few virtual machines without any problems.  All good Smiley Happy

I have some problems though.  The main thing is that I need all virtual machines to be completely separate from the main LAN, so I have created a virtual network and that's where these machines reside.  Only the Hypervisor is accessible from the network.

Anyway, the vSphere client is missing loads of features, like cloning.  I spoke to a friend who suggested installing vSphere Server on my machine, which I've tried, but at one point it asks for the 64-bit DSN and seeing as this needs to point to a virtual server that my PC has no direct access to, I can't complete the installation.  If I do this on one of the virtual machines, I seem to get a more fully featured console, though it obviously can't connect to the Hypervisor as it's on a separate network.

So, and apologies for the length of this message, my question is how do I get all of the features (cloning, etc) on the vSphere Client installation on my machine?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Cloning is only available with vCenter Server, which you would license separately and install in a virtual machine. vCenter Server requires a Windows host and can use a bundled database, or you can use the vCenter Server Appliance which is a pre-configured vCenter Server VM. You could create a virtual machine port group in the management vSwitch on each ESXi host to keep the vCenter mgmt traffic on the same network as your hosts.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
SuprSi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response.  It's been a while since I used vSphere 4 so I'm a little rusty, but what you're saying is that I can create a virtual management port that's linked to the host that will allow traffic from my PC through to the vSphere Client on the vCenter Server Appliance/virtual machine with vSphere server installed?  So once this is done, I'll launch the vSphere client on my machine and point to the vSphere server installation on the virtual application server and I should get all of the options?

0 Kudos