VMware Cloud Community
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can vCenter Server run on Win2008 R2?

Right now we have our virtual center server running on Win2003 R2 standard. I wanted to find out if it will run on Win2008 R2 which is 64 bit. If so, is there an easy way to transition from one to the other? The database resides on a separate SQL 2005 server.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

pick you poison. For me, I like to stay within the compatibility matrix.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

W2K8R2 is not compatible as a host OS for vCenter

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it will work fine.

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks, that answers that question. I do see that Win2008 64 bit is a supported operating system when running 4.0 update 1. I hope that support for R2 is soon to follow

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Two different answers, I am assuming I should go with the support matrix answer and not run it under R2

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

W2K8R2 is not compatible as a host OS for vCenter

Technically W2K8R2 is W2K8 which is supported. It's just a later release.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you could always run W2K8 Standard x64, then update to R2 when it becomes a compatible and supported Host OS for vCenter.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Two different answers

No, it's not. Windows 2008 IS supported. R2 is just a later release of the SAME Windows 2008 product, no difference. The fact that it's not explicitly noted, makes no difference, it is a supported OS.

Same goes for Windows 2008 SQL, if they update it to SP2, just because SP2 isn't explicitly on there, it still means it is supported. It's the same product.

HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Should I run this by VMWare support just in case? I hate to get in a situation where they will not support my infrastructure. What about the second part of my question. Is there documentation somewhere on how to transition?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

pick you poison. For me, I like to stay within the compatibility matrix.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Should I run this by VMWare support just in case?

We are splitting hairs, and everyone seems to be a bit picky. Windows 2008 is Windows 2008, period. Microsoft calls R2 Windows 2008. Same product. If you call VM Ware support, they will read from a script and tell you that it's not supported, but that's because they don't see R2 written anywhere.

If it wasn't the same product, Microsoft would have called it something different, like Windows 2009, therefore it's qualified as Windows 2008. So who are you going to believe, Microsoft or VM Ware? MS will tell you and I am telling you its the same product.

If you want to be stubborn and you MUST insist that R2 appears next to the OS in question so you feel better about yourself, that's on you. It's the same product, R3, R4.. doesn't matter. If there is a MAJOR change that would mean its no longer considered Windows 2008 is it?

So that means its the same product, that's all it means.

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

There is one big difference though, Win2008 comes in a 32bit and 64bit version. R2 is only 64bit. For this reason, there are some products that will run under 2008, 32 bit that will not run under R2.

There are a few other differences between 2008, 64 bit and R2, here are the differences:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd391932(WS.10).aspx

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are a few other differences between 2008, 64 bit and R2, here are the differences:

What does 32-bit and 64-bit have to do with anything? Maybe the rise in popularity (because MS can see how many people downloaded the product) warranted a 64-bit release.

R2 comes in a 64-bit ONLY version because nobody downloaded the 32-bit or so few that it wasn't worth compiling 32-bit.

It still doesn't change the fact it's the SAME product. Windows 2008 64-bit is STILL a supported OS (as is Windows 2003 64-bit) for vCenter.

That doesn't change one IOTA for this discussion. Windows 2008 R2 64-bit is STILL Windows 2008, period.

there are some products that will run under 2008, 32 bit that will not run under R2.

Yeah, you are comparing 32-bit with 64-bit, so yeah we aren't talking about differences in architectural design for 64-bit, we are strictly talking about Windows 2008 product line.

And if you KNOW R2 is 64-bit ONLY you wouldn't consider it if you need a 32-bit OS now would you?

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The technet article that I referred to lists quite a few differences between Win2008 64bit and Win2008 R2 so no they are not the same product. I have two other products that I run that will run fine under Win2008 64bit but will not run under R2. This is according to the manufacturer. I inquired and it was not a matter of just they had not tested it yet, they needed to tweak their product to run under R2. In fact Exchange 2007 runs under Win2008 64 bit but WILL NOT run under R2. I will stick where I am not until the VMWare matrix lists R2 as supported.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

<div class="jive-quote">

Two different answers

</div>

No, it's not. Windows 2008 IS supported. R2 is just a later release of the SAME Windows 2008 product, no difference. The fact that it's not explicitly noted, makes no difference, it is a supported OS.

I used to buy into this sort of arguement, until we found that posts all over these forums around Windows 2008 R2 guests freezing, issues with video drivers, etc. Sure, an ESXi update provided Windows 2008 R2 support - but the point is, it took an update.

Having built a Windows 2008 R2 server only to find it wouldn't run Exchange 2007, there are unfortunately too many potentially impacting differences to make that statement a safe one.

Note, I'm not specifically commenting on whether vCenter works in this environment.

0 Kudos
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't see any listing of w2008 in the OS compatibility matrix for vCenter. I would like to know why VMware stripped the OS requirements out of the ESX and vCenter installation guide, that is where it belongs.. Thanks VMware for sending me all over the place looking for an answer to what is an easy question.. "what OS can I now install the latest vCenter in?" According to the guide w2008 isn't listed at all, R2 or not... but some of you are saying it is??? Has anyone officially asked VMware? If you have an SnS what are you waiting for? it only takes a few minutes to make the call.. otherwise, I would stick with the compatibility matrix, not too mention that if you are installing vCenter in a VM you will get better performance out of a w2003 VM, w2008 VMs don't run as well, thanks to MS... In addition, as far as I know you still need to run vCenter in 32bit mode, so who cares if you build it on a 64bit platform?

If anyone has anything to add, preferrably someone with up to date knowledge direct from VMware, that would be nice if you could chime in. I work for a partner and we have to pay for support so you know I'm not going to call them on this, I would just assume install it in w2003 and be done with it. But like I said, anyone with up to date knowledge pleas reply..

0 Kudos