VMware Cloud Community
rhltechie27
Contributor
Contributor

Consolidation analysis stalled

Hi All,

I was attempting to add a machine to be analyzed for consolidation. Well This task at the bottom "AddSystemToAnalysis" has been"in progress" for six hours. I assume its stuck. When I right click on the process cancel is greyed out. How shall I kill this process?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

My expereince is that the analysis takes a long time - we had a similar instance - went home and the analysis was finished when we got back the next morning.

Looked in Event log, the Consoliation logs, and the other logs on both the server being analyzed and the VC server without finding a notification that the analysis had finished.

0 Kudos
rhltechie27
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I have noticed also the actual analysis part does take quite some time, but this has not even made it that far yet. It's still a task in the bottom pane of my client to add to analysis, which is what makes me think its stalled. normally this process takes a few minutes at most.

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Can you re-add the server to analysis? While we were validating exactly how to configure the Consoldiation service, we found the quickest way to test was to readd the analysis.

Have you tied closing your VI client session with VirtualCenter to see what happens?

0 Kudos
rhltechie27
Contributor
Contributor

I can add more all day long but this particular one is just frozen or something. closing out of the client doesnt help...i assume i am going to have to do something either on the esx box or the vc server..i just dont know what shot of rebooting, which I obviously cannot do right now...we are a single host shop.

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

On the server being checked, there should be a vmware consolidation service running - try killing that in task manager.

0 Kudos
rhltechie27
Contributor
Contributor

yeah..i just rebooted the VC server...it killed it. dunno why i cannot listen to what i tell my users "JUST REBOOT"

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

One of the chief technical designers for what became AOL told me that rebooting would fix 85% of the problems. Was true back in C64 days and is still true.

0 Kudos