VMware Cloud Community
mfoley
Contributor
Contributor

Ctrl-Alt-Del Behavior

Is there a way to disbale how C-A-D is handled within a vmware guest. I use Virtual Center fon my desktop with server 3.5 and I get the popup box on both my desktop saying to use c-a-ins from within the guest but it still sends the command to the guest...and inf it's a linux server it reboots it. Is there a way to prevent the guest from getting the c-a-d command...or at least get a box confirming I want to send a C-A-D to the guest.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert

Hi

I don't think this is possible. It is as intended. i have tried to find the informations my self.

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Look at it logically if you walk up to a physical box, and you hit C-A-D, what does it do, reboot right? so that's an OS/guest problem not VM ware. You just have to pay more attention to C-A-Ins instead.

If Linux reboots, then change the behavior of Linux on how it handles C-A-D command, since you can't turn of C-A-D from your keyboard.

There is a way in Linux (depending on distro) to change this behaviour. That's where you should concentrate your effort, not making VM Ware disable C-A-D. Some level of restraint is required on your part . . . . . . .

0 Kudos
mfoley
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I know it requires some operator restraint/attention but things happen in the heat of the moment that aren't always intended. For some reason pressing C-A-D on a vmdk from my desktop feels different then if I were at a physical box pressing C-A-D. It's all in the mindset I guess.

Do you have a link where I can find how to change the Linux behavior.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Do you have a link where I can find how to change the Linux behavior.

Try this:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/ctrl-alt-del

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

and here is another approach as I don't know what type of linux you are using:

http://www.ducea.com/2006/06/20/how-to-disable-ctrl-alt-del-from-rebooting-a-linux-system/

good luck!

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos